Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time pizza question...

Options
Getting ready to try my first pizza - once stone is preheated do you lay the pizza with toppings on or do you first place the dough then flip it over once you have a crust and then lay down sauce and toppings?... If it's the second option do you remove crust, flip it, add sauce/toppings then add back to stone? Thanks in advance
Charlotte, nc

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    No flipping, no pre-cook in the shell.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Make sure you set your stone up from the plate setter - use something to create an air gap if you can
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I stretch the dough then transfer it to a peel with cornmeal, then top it. Shake to make sure it will slide off, then onto the stone. Or make it on parchment and place the whole thing on the stone, which makes transfers easy. I'm sure there's lots of good threads with more detailed instructions.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    I use parchment paper sprinkled with corn meal. As mentioned above be sure to have an air gap between the PS and the stone. After about 4-5 min of grilling I gently lift up the pizza with my pizza paddle and with tongs I pull out the parchment paper. I generally do the za's for around 12 min. @500 or so. I also will spin the crust around on the stone just to make sure that nothing is burning. Good Luck enjoy the time. Pizza off the egg is amazing. Let us know how it turns out.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    Iv'e tried many different methods, What works for ME:
    Let dough rise 1-1.5 hours. I usually start egg a little after making dough. When egg is going good, I put in platesetter legs up. Grid on top that. Stone on top of that. If you have a grill extender, us it to raise stone up higher in dome. 

Stabilize temp 475-500 degrees. Roll dough/s out to size on a piece of parchment paper the size of your peel. I just bump the edges a little to make the edge crust. It's barely noticeable but when cooked makes a difference. When finished, trim the paper an inch or so larger than the pie. Let rest to rise slightly for about 10-15 minutes. Sauce it, cheese it and what ever toppings u like. Don't pile high here, on a thin crust, you want crust and toppings to be done at the same time.

Slide pizza and parchment onto your hot stone and close lid. 1.5-2 minutes later, open lid and carefully grab a piece of parchment and pull with one hand and with the other push the pizza back to hold it in place. It will slide off easily and the crust won't stick to the stone now.

After 8 or so minutes, take a peek with a metal spatchula (? spelling) to lift the crust. Check every few minutes till done to your liking. For me  it's about 15 minutes. Crispy outside crust and soft center.

Corn meal instead of parchment paper works fine to release the pie from the peel and keeps it from sticking to the stone but I find it burns before the toppings are done. My experience anyway.

My first pie I did a thin crust and got the egg up too 650 degrees. Too hot and burnt before toppings were done. Corn meal was black as coal. 

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    Parchment paper and corn meal for me too.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    If I am quick about building my pizza once I lay it on the peel, corn meal is all I need
    If the kids are building pizzas and they sit for a while, then I get some condensation building up on the bottom and they'll stick to the peel like tape!
    LBGE/Maryland