Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stripped Screw...

Options
Thought I would invoke the help of the forum. I recently changed my gasket (Rutland, Thanks RRP). I had to make some adjustments to the lid. There was a gap from 9-12 o'clock. While tightening the acorn bolt on the back, I seemed to have stripped the threads in the hinge assembly. It will not tighten. I contacted my dealer who said they would order a new hinge assembly for me. Doing a little research on the forum, I found it might be the bolt that needs to be replaced and not the whole assembly. I really don't want to have to change the whole hinge assembly. I was hoping someone could shed some knowledge upon me. Any opinions and/or suggestions would be appreciated. Unrelated, but if you have any sure fire ways to get rid of moles. Little bastard is tearing up my yard!

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I'd just install the new assembly if they're going to give it to you.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    I had the same problem and here is what my dealer sent me. Haven't put it on yet but we're gonna have to loosen the band enough to slide in the shoulder bolt. #firehoke. image
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I egged for 2 years with a broken one.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Those are called clinch studs and I'm surprised your dealer just didn't hand you a couple! OTOH do you live near a Fastensall store? They carry them or many large ACE hardware stores would have them. Don't expect to find them at the big box stores like Lowes or Home Despot!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    That's good to know @henapple‌. I'm not in a big hurry to fix mine. Any reason that u finally put it on?
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    That sure would be an easier fix. I love Hoke, but he's won't be coming back next year. To be honest, not sure he makes it the whole year with loses like that.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• RRP
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Unrelated, but if you have any sure fire ways to get rid of moles. Little bastard is tearing up my yard!

Wish I knew as well as they have been bad this year, but one thing that has worked for me is I spread grass seed along their tunnels before stomping them down and the damage has been minimal rather than scalping the tunnels with the mower and then having the yard look like it has cracks!
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    edited September 2014
    Options
    RRP said:
    Those are called clinch studs and I'm surprised your dealer just didn't hand you a couple! OTOH do you live near a Fastensall store? They carry them or many large ACE hardware stores would have them. Don't expect to find them at the big box stores like Lowes or Home Despot!

I bought my egg from Offenbachers, they have "people" who deal with warranty issues only. She told me that she would order and send a new hinge assembly. Might check with the store I purchased it from and show them these pics. With my warranty issues, I usually email mary, and she takes care of me. If I come across an Ace, I will take a look. Thanks RRP.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• RRP
    Options
    I doubt a broken clinch stud will be a warranty issue requiring a whole new band assembly. Like your car dealer saying he can't fix the flat tire but will gladly sell you a new car!
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    If they give it to me, I'll take it, keep it and try to find a cinch bolt. What size is the cinch bolt?

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    I wonder if the new hinge assembly would have the clinch bolts in with it? Let me know i u run into a real pickle and I would gladly send u one of my extras. #harbaugh.