Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon-wrapped apples.

Options
Not proud of the fact that I was too lazy to fire up the egg for this but this would definitely work well in the egg. Apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon then wrapped in locally-sourced bacon (Oink Moo Cluck Farms). Laid on a bed of Demerara sugar then sprinkled with brown sugar and a little bit of ground sea salt and crushed black pepper and more Demerara sugar. Cooked on parchment paper spritzed with canola oil in the middle rack of the oven at 350° for 45 minutes. Healthy? No. Delicious? Yes.
I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm doing this for sure. Probably today. I love bacon wrapped anything. Can't believe I haven't though of this before. Now let me say, if I may, that looks down right sinful brother. I will gladly take delicious over healthy any day of the week. Proudly I present this cook with the:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Yessir
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Love the idea.  Going to have to give this a shot!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Well I went to the farmers market and picked up some things for the rub and sauce gift exchange and grabbed the bacon while I was there. My lovely wife had picked me up some apples earlier in the week that I had yet to enjoy so I went online looking for recipes with bacon and apple and really found nothing of interest so I just winged it. I do really enjoy bacon any way it can be made but I get bored with just frying it up and eating it. I had never used Demerara sugar before last week (bought a bag to sprinkle on some buttermilk pies I was making) and I can say - the stuff tastes great and Caramelizes really well. Thanks for the seal of approval SGH - it means a lot coming from someone who seems to make nothing but stunning food.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words brother. I really like the idea of the bacon wrapped apples. I use bacon in or on about everything. Never tried it on apples though. Going to give that a try before the day is done. And trust me when I say that everything that I do doesn't always end well. Just a couple of days ago, I completley and totally reduced a slab of KC ribs to total ash and dust!! No joke. I was furious because I was starving at the time!! Again I love the apple/bacon idea. Way to think outside of the box brother Hibby!! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.