Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Thrillist 33 Best BBQ Joints

Options
NSIAP

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/these-are-the-33-best-bbq-joints-in-america

Interesting list and some interesting comments.  Some good ones on there.  City Market!

-----------
I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    He got the first one wrong so I stopped reading.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lakewade
    Options
    Mickey said:
    He got the first one wrong so I stopped reading.

Fat Matts? Never been there myself so can't comment.

-----------
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    These lists always piss me off because they are more often just a popularity contest. But I have personally experienced 4 of these in NC - Skylight, Wilbur's, Lexington BBQ and Clyde Coopers (Had their Pulled pork for my daughter's christening), plus a couple of others around the country, and would agree that these are among the best I have ever had. Given that sample, I'll say this list would qualify as, "Great BBQ joints you should try!" There will never be a "Best" for everyone. 

I look forward to trying a few more of these.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • lakewade
    Options
    @CarolinaCrazy

I feel the same as you about these lists, but I thought this one was pretty good for a "national" list, which, as you say, are usually pretty weak and built on popularity alone.  I have been to Skylight and agree with you it was solid.

-----------
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lakewade said:
    @CarolinaCrazy

I feel the same as you about these lists, but I thought this one was pretty good for a "national" list, which, as you say, are usually pretty weak and built on popularity alone.  I have been to Skylight and agree with you it was solid.

I love me some city market too. Think they got most of the local joints right but Kreutz is not even on the TX Monthly "best of" anymore. Here is the last review and i agree 100% Their new place in austin is way worse. Horrible. From TX Monthly: We wanted to keep this renowned spot at the top of our list, where it’s been since our very first barbecue story, in 1973. But after repeated visits by various staffers, we had to be honest: we couldn’t. The brisket was consistently disappointing. The scanty fat on the “fatty” was opaque and sinewy, the meat looked like shredded wheat, and the smoke was noticeably lacking on one visit too many. The shoulder clod was tender, but it’s no stand-in for good brisket.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lakewade
    Options
    I love me some city market too. Think they got most of the local joints right but Kreutz is not even on the TX Monthly "best of" anymore. Here is the last review and i agree 100% Their new place in austin is way worse. Horrible. From TX Monthly: We wanted to keep this renowned spot at the top of our list, where it’s been since our very first barbecue story, in 1973. But after repeated visits by various staffers, we had to be honest: we couldn’t. The brisket was consistently disappointing. The scanty fat on the “fatty” was opaque and sinewy, the meat looked like shredded wheat, and the smoke was noticeably lacking on one visit too many. The shoulder clod was tender, but it’s no stand-in for good brisket.
    Wow that is crazy.  I agree with that as well, though from a Lockhart perspective I don't consider them at the bottom.  I'd take them over Blacks.

-----------
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I tried the Schmidt Family BBQ in Bee Cave, it's a collaboration between the Kreutz side of the family and the Smitttys side. The prices were stupid expensive for BBQ and the brisket tasted like roast beef, no smoke. They had a big woodpile on the side of the building and a fire going in the outside patio area that looked like it fed smoke to pits in the kitchen, but never saw any pits and it looked like they had a ton of FTC meat in tubs on wheels. I think it was all show and they prob bring it in from Lockhart. Everything else was mediocre - sausage, ribs, etc. I won't ever go back.
  • lakewade
    Options
    Legume said:
    I tried the Schmidt Family BBQ in Bee Cave, it's a collaboration between the Kreutz side of the family and the Smitttys side. The prices were stupid expensive for BBQ and the brisket tasted like roast beef, no smoke. They had a big woodpile on the side of the building and a fire going in the outside patio area that looked like it fed smoke to pits in the kitchen, but never saw any pits and it looked like they had a ton of FTC meat in tubs on wheels. I think it was all show and they prob bring it in from Lockhart. Everything else was mediocre - sausage, ribs, etc. I won't ever go back.
    I live near the Bee Cave Schmidt restaurant and I still haven't been because of reviews like this.  When I get time to go to dinner I just don't want to waste it on a place with bad reviews.  I know it is not easy to run a restaurant like that, but how could they screw it up so completely?  I drove around it one day and couldn't see where they cooked on site either...I did see an ornamental smoker trailer out back though...posers?

-----------
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lakewade said:
    Legume said:
    I live near the Bee Cave Schmidt restaurant and I still haven't been because of reviews like this.  When I get time to go to dinner I just don't want to waste it on a place with bad reviews.  I know it is not easy to run a restaurant like that, but how could they screw it up so completely?  I drove around it one day and couldn't see where they cooked on site either...I did see an ornamental smoker trailer out back though...posers?
    There is no Kreutz side anymore. Kreutz and Smittys have been owned by the same family for like 20 years or something like that. 

for the one in Bee Cave, they ship it all in from Lockhart and just warm it in the pits that you see inside. The food we had was terrible. No flavor, the ribs were actually gray and chewy. we didn't even finish. On top of that, it was like $59 for 3 people and we had like 2 lbs of meat and a few sodas. They are like 30% higher than Franklins!

It was bad. I live 2 min from Lakewade and we drive by that place 4-5x a week. I'll never go back. No way they can make it in this town with food like that. Their food in Lockhart isn't very good but this is a whole other level of bad.I would eat bbq out of a bag from Bill Miller's or Dickie's before I ate here again

I skewered them on yelp but I was just one of dozens

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fljoemon
    Options
    I've been to Fat Matt's .... No way it's better than Franklins. In fact when in Atlanta I prefer Heirloom Market BBQ or Grand Champion BBQ or Fox Bros.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Been to Scott's and Wilburs....both are solid.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

These lists always piss me off because they are more often just a popularity contest. But I have personally experienced 4 of these in NC - Skylight, Wilbur's, Lexington BBQ and Clyde Coopers (Had their Pulled pork for my daughter's christening), plus a couple of others around the country, and would agree that these are among the best I have ever had. Given that sample, I'll say this list would qualify as, "Great BBQ joints you should try!" There will never be a "Best" for everyone. 

I look forward to trying a few more of these.

I agree. With all the ones "near me" the list is pretty solid. As good as any other list anyway.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Anyone have a say on Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse? I was there about 20 years ago and as I recall there was nothing very authentic about it. Seemed like a chain.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Anyone have a say on Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse? I was there about 20 years ago and as I recall there was nothing very authentic about it. Seemed like a chain.
    Syracuse was their first location and have since spread to other locations.  Their food was always pretty good but it can't compete with most of the Texas places.  It is a real biker hangout, if that appeals to you.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    my comment will appear after it's approved...
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I don't think there are any on the list here in South Flarida. So I'll ask you folks who've tasted thd fare at some of these places: How does your Egg-fare compare? Are you even close if not as good, perhaps even better?
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I feel the NC ones have right to be there, personally.  I cannot comment on the others.  However, I have never heard anyone call Lexington BBQ, "The Monk".  People normally (at least my generation) call it "Honey Monks" instead.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site