Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye test .... T-Rex vs Caveman lotsa pics

Options
shtgunal3
shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
Let me start by saying that I have always egged my steaks using the T-Rex method. Sear the hell out of it and then cool the egg down some and finish until desired temp. I had two ribeye's tonight and decided to try a test. I guess technically they were both done T-Rex instead I seared one on the grate as usual and seared the other one on the coals as we have seen @hapster do so many times before. For this test I used the Small Big Green Egg and it was filled to the top with Ozark Oak lump. One steak was seared on the grate and the other was seared on the coals. Both were finished raised grid using the small woo and stock grate. Here we go.

First up is the ribeye seared on the coals.
imageimage

Next is another ribeye seared on the stock grate.

Finishing up on the woo.

Plated with some fried taters

Yes @SGH I did eat all of it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    And the result?????
    Options
    Yeah I hit "post" a little prematurely.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    So, which one won?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Suspense

Options
    Both steaks were awesome! I will have to give the nod to the caveman seared steak though. This really surprised me too because I just thought that folks were searing on the coals because it just seamed cool or something. But believe it or not the Ozark Oak gave the steak another level of flavor that the other steak just didn't have.

• shtgunal3
    Options
    Both steaks were were marinated about 30 minutes in Dales and then I applied a small amount of Dizzys raising the steaks.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Yes, it is scary at first. You don't want to carbonize the meat but surprisingly, it does not cook much faster than on the grid.

Options
    Caveman style for me as well. Did a couple of prime filets this weekend that were amazing.
    Options
    @tjcoley I was really surprised that I liked the caveman better but I did. I swear you could taste the lump in the steak and it was great.

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Now for the playoffs: 

How about Caveman vs. Reverse Sear.

I'll put my money on reverse sear. 
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• jeroldharter
    Options
    Has anyone tried doing the sear part of reverse sear directly on the coals?
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    I've never done a reverse sear on a steak.

• EggAg99
    Options
    I have finished 2# center cut prime tenderloin directly on coals or caveman style with great success every time. Next ill try the rib roast
  • Eggpharmer
    Options

Has anyone tried doing the sear part of reverse sear directly on the coals?

I tried it once.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1169881/reverse-sear-caveman-filets#latest
    Austin, TX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    Now for the playoffs: 

How about Caveman vs. Reverse Sear.

I'll put my money on reverse sear. 

I'll take reverse sear over straight caveman.  I find with caveman, the inside of the steak actually cooks slower - the outside ends up way too charred before the inside even hits 100 degrees.

I would do a caveman on a reverse sear any day, though.  Since the middle cooks slower on a reverse sear, you could take a thick ribeye up to 120 and still get a good sear caveman-style, and it will only be 125-128 when you take it off.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @shtgunal3‌
    Now this is what I like to see. None of that healthy crap at all. Just lots of meat cooked several different ways for a comparison and consumption. A real mans meal. Let me say the steaks are off the chain and the pics are phenomenal looking.
    What I like most about this post is you took the time to point out that you ate it all. And farther more you presented proof of consumption. That's essential in my opinion. A must if you will. For taking a stance against that awful organization "Weight Watchers" by eating it all, it is my honor and privilege to give this cook the SGH seal of approval. You earned on quality, quantity and more importantly consumption my friend. Way to eat brother. Keep packing it down. You have my respect sir.
    SGH

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lilwooty
    Options
    Must be good...even the approval cat gives it a thumbs up!

Living Large and XL

• shtgunal3
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's responses and approvals. @lilwooty‌ I'm digging the approval cat.

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    So I am confused. I do steaks of all thicknesses from 3/4" to 2" about 4 mins per side direct at about 600 dome. Themapen says 115 and I pull. Rest 5 mins. Perfect medium rare always. If you do caveman or t-Rex isn't it pretty much cooked already after the "sear"?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited September 2014
    Options

So I am confused. I do steaks of all thicknesses from 3/4" to 2" about 4 mins per side direct at about 600 dome. Themapen says 115 and I pull. Rest 5 mins. Perfect medium rare always. If you do caveman or t-Rex isn't it pretty much cooked already after the "sear"?

Meat cooks outside in. When your middle is 115, the areas towards the edges are higher, which leads to banding(overdone). Cooking at a lower temp iinitially or at the end coupled with a shorter sear gives edge to edge even doneness. This is well-documented anecdotally and scientifically.

Bottom line though, do whatever makes you and your guests happy. That's what matters.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Ah! Edge to edge! Yes I always have a bit of "done" at the edges before nice pink. I think I get it.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes