Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How often do you calibrate your Tel Tru

Options
It seems like I have to calibrate mine once a month to keep it accurate. When I do a long brisket cook I calibrate it but I rely on my Digi Q over the dome thermo. Yesterday I was smoking ribs at 225 grate and the Tel Tru was off by 50 degrees. Does everyone else have to calibrate each month?

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I always get a 50-degree difference between grill and dome on cooks shorter than three hours.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Not very often. Maybe twice a year. Usually not off by much unless I twisted it or it's coated with something. The delta between dome and grid temp fluctuates from 5 degrees to 50 degrees depending on your target temp, how long you have been cooking the meat and how long ago you last opened the lid. 50 degrees is not unusual.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I bought my LBGE over 2 years ago. Yesterday I checked the thermometer for the first time. It was spot on.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    A check my dome thermo before every low&slow cook-so that's 2-3 times/month.  Drifted off by about 10*F once around a year ago but other than that, it's been fine. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I've never calibrated mine.  I suspect it's a bit off, but I don't worrry about it.
    NOLA
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I do mine about once a month not that it needs it, it has never been off, but it is another fun thing to do connected with the Egg.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    What's the best way to calibrate a thermometer?
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    What's the best way to calibrate a thermometer?

Boiling water, should read 100 C. If it is too high or low you can adjust the nut on the back of the Tel Tru either way.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    dstearn said:

Boiling water, should read 100 C. If it is too high or low you can adjust the nut on the back of the Tel Tru either way.

Assuming you're at sea level.

NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I think I've done it a couple of times in my 5+ years of egging. Once with the original non-TelTru and then it's TT replacement. Both were pretty close. Haven't checked in a long time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I have had 3 Tel-Trus for years - they were dead on accurate when they arrived and in all this time only one went out by 10 degrees once! I check every couple years at best.

BTW here's another chance to climb up on the soapbox...that needless spring clip inside your egg on the probe grabs the probe so securely that if you turn the face of the thermometer you can easily knock it out of caliber! You don't need that clip - gravity will keep the thermometer in the dome hole!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    RRP said:
    I have had 3 Tel-Trus for years - they were dead on accurate when they arrived and in all this time only one went out by 10 degrees once! I check every couple years at best.

BTW here's another chance to climb up on the soapbox...that needless spring clip inside your egg on the probe grabs the probe so securely that if you turn the face of the thermometer you can easily knock it out of caliber! You don't need that clip - gravity will keep the thermometer in the dome hole!
    Ron,
    That only works if you obey the law of gravity. Occasionally I rebel... 
    :-B
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    RRP said:

Thanks for the advice, I will try to go clipless and rely on gravity going forward.