Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware cap

Options
Thinking about gettin a smokeware stainless cap. Are they better than the factory daisy wheel? Just looking for some feedback.
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• SidZer0
    Options
    Yes. Buy one, you won't regret it.
    Jax, FL
  • badinfluence
    Options
    I have them on 7 of my 10 eggs so I think so but others are now saying there's has a loose fit. Not the case on mine.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    edited September 2014
    Options
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I don't see a need for one. My daisy-wheel works just fine and the green rain cap snuffs out the egg nicely. It's not like it's a chore to remove the cap and put the daisy wheel on. I guess the smokeware cap is better while cooking in the rain, other then that I see no advantage.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    There are a couple of advantages to the Smokeware cap. The biggest is the fact that it works well in the rain. Secondly, I like the fact that it doesn't move when you open and close the lid.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I have them on 7 of my 10 eggs so I think so but others are now saying there's has a loose fit. Not the case on mine.
    I'm NOT being a smart ass here - OK? But even though you have the most eggs outside of a dealer you seem to keep missing the major point in these threads that they are referring to people who own and use SmokeWear stainless steel caps - not the ceramic caps. The SW doesn't even fit half of your eggs! Peace, brother -OK?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BuilderFrank
    Options
    I got my SS cap about 2 weeks ago. I took it out of the box and set on my egg today to grill. Unfortunately the fit doesn't sit to well with me. I'm gonna give SW a call tomorrow about the 1/8in play the cap has atop the egg. Don't get me wrong it looks awesome, but way to loose compared to the cast iron egg cap...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Mine is tight to the chimney and snuffs out the fire with no problem.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I got my SS cap about 2 weeks ago. I took it out of the box and set on my egg today to grill. Unfortunately the fit doesn't sit to well with me. I'm gonna give SW a call tomorrow about the 1/8in play the cap has atop the egg. Don't get me wrong it looks awesome, but way to loose compared to the cast iron egg cap...

Did they possibly forget to include the gasket in the package?
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    Options

1/8th inch play? Really? Have you even tried to add the gasket yet? BTW do you own a sloppy cast iron daisey? Bet that is more than a sloppy 1/8th play.
  • BuilderFrank
    Options
    Gasket that goes between the egg and base fits fine, I'm refering to the top hood/cap. Seems to be really loose, I don't see it stopping heat from escaping.
  • RRP
    Options
    Where did you place that gasket strip that came with your SmokeWare cap? Inside the cap or on the outside of the egg dome? Placement makes a big difference.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    RRP said:

I'm NOT being a smart ass here - OK? But even though you have the most eggs outside of a dealer you seem to keep missing the major point in these threads that they are referring to people who own and use SmokeWear stainless steel caps - not the ceramic caps. The SW doesn't even fit half of your eggs! Peace, brother -OK?

@rrp. I have 7 smokew ear caps on the 7 eggs that they DO fit on. What point am I missing here? Tj op asked if people think they are worth it. Well if I have 7 of them I would say yes they are worth it. That WAS my point.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Gasket that goes between the egg and base fits fine, I'm refering to the top hood/cap. Seems to be really loose, I don't see it stopping heat from escaping.

I noticed that with mine as well. I have the gasket installed inside right below the vent and it is a snug fit on the egg. The cap has a little play on the base of the unit. Yesterday I did a low slow cook for over 5 hours using the DigiQ and the grate temp held steady the entire cook. My dome temp was much higher but that could just be a calibration issue. I am going to contact Matt to see if the loose cap is normal.
  • RRP
    Options

@rrp. I have 7 smokew ear caps on the 7 eggs that they DO fit on. What point am I missing here? Tj op asked if people think they are worth it. Well if I have 7 of them I would say yes they are worth it. That WAS my point.
    my apologies - I miscounted, misspoke and missed an opportunity to keep my mouth shut! Lesson learned.
  • BuilderFrank
    Options
    RRP said:
    Where did you place that gasket strip that came with your SmokeWare cap? Inside the cap or on the outside of the egg dome? Placement makes a big difference.
    Placed the gasket on the egg.  I dont see how gasket placement makes a difference on why the outer cap piece sits so loose? 
    dstearn said:

I noticed that with mine as well. I have the gasket installed inside right below the vent and it is a snug fit on the egg. The cap has a little play on the base of the unit. Yesterday I did a low slow cook for over 5 hours using the DigiQ and the grate temp held steady the entire cook. My dome temp was much higher but that could just be a calibration issue. I am going to contact Matt to see if the loose cap is normal.

I just sent SW an email with pics, Ill wait to hear back from them. Im not trying to bash there product what so ever... Just want it to fit like it should..

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Placed the gasket on the egg.  I dont see how gasket placement makes a difference on why the outer cap piece sits so loose.

You are correct - I wasn't clear. What I meant was placement being say in the middle of the chimney height or down at the base where the cap flares out. When down below I believe it will not be as snug, but that's just my opinion. But I agree with you whether on the egg or inside the cap shouldn't make a difference. I just still like mine being inside the cap so when I do a burn out the gasket won't be harmed.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @RRP‌ I have Rutland adhered to my chimney and it provides a snug fit. Plus I'm a lil OCD when it comes to cleaning the Smokeware and my SS table. Having it on the chimney allows for cleaning inside and out with no gasket in my way. I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP‌ I have Rutland adhered to my chimney and it provides a snug fit. Plus I'm a lil OCD when it comes to cleaning the Smokeware and my SS table. Having it on the chimney allows for cleaning inside and out with no gasket in my way. I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. B-)
    Yes you will be fine as the BGE isn't capable of hurting that Rutland. Where the whole issue began with the placement was when TNW did a review of the cap and the gasket that Matt was using at that time and the gasket turned into a gooey mess after the Whiz did a burn out. That caused Matt to switch up to Nomex, which is better, but not indestructible.  I would try to post a link, but every time I try I get that message about my post needing to be reviewed which it never does.
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Options
    Thinking about gettin a smokeware stainless cap. Are they better than the factory daisy wheel? Just looking for some feedback.
    I purchased a SS Smokeware cap about a year ago, I put the daisy wheel and ceramic snuffer cap on a shelf and never looked back. To answer your question is the Smokeware cap better than the factory daisy wheel, my vote is yes. Also I think it gives the egg a bit of a custom look.... Just a footnote I did follow RRP's advice and place the gasket on the SS base ring instead of on the BGE lid. I'm sure this has saved me the gooey mess that Ron references from the Whiz website and his burn out.

Rick 
    Rick in Tampa