Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket!

Options
Did my first brisket for today. 8.5 lb flat, salt and black pepper rub for 24 hr then cooked at 250 for 10 hrs with 3 big chunks of hickory. Finished at 7 am so FTC until about 12 and had it ready for sandwiches for football at 1. Turned out great! 

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks great, how did it taste?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • eggenometry
    Options
    Could taste the pepper, but the beef flavor really stood out and was the star. What type of rubs do ya'll use? 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Looks like a delicious brisky, I keep it simple on the rub on brisket, Kosher coarse salt, pepper and a little garlic powder for me, that's it. The lump and the smoking wood, usually pecan or hickory, imparts enough smoke flavor, (for me anyway) But to each his own. Great job!!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    S&P is my go to. I've tried many different homemade rubs but, ultimately the S&P allows the beef to be the star as it should be. Excellent job!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Nicely done!!! @NPHuskerFL might appreciate this but I use Misty's seasoning on all my beef whether it is steak, prime rib, or brisket/roasts and love it. But it's really just S&P with some garlic and onion powder. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Congrats -- you always remember your first!

While I can't share the deep well of experience that others on the forum have, I can say that the best brisket is the next brisket!

Thanks for sharing!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    PS -- I did a 16 pounder this weekend and used only a "secret" mix of kosher salt and coarse ground pepper.  In the past, I loaded up and this time I used very little -- less than 1/3 cup total for a monster piece of meat.  Turned out great -- and better than when I used close to double that amount.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Nice Job!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Most eggcellent-any time you nail a flat you have hit the home-run!  congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.