Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Half Chickens - Any Advice?

Options
Put a couple of chicken halves on the egg.  Injected a butter/apple juice/garlic/rub mixture into the meat.  Planning on cooking at around 275 for two hours or until I hit the IT in the thigh.  Does anyone have any advice on getting a crispier skin?  I know I can cook at a higher temp, but I feel like the high the temp the less moist the bird is.  I'm not looking for super crispy skin, I'm just looking for something a little more edible.  I'll post a pic when the bird is cooked, and let you know how it ended up.  

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "Does anyone have any advice on getting a crispier skin? "

Yes- cook them under a Wagyu brisket for about 4 hrs so the brisket fat slow fries this skin A-la-SGH at brisket camp yesterday.

If you can't do that, a
    Little cornstarch dusting will turn the skin into a potato chip.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GulfCoastSmoker
    Options
    "Does anyone have any advice on getting a crispier skin? " Yes- cook them under a Wagyu brisket for about 4 hrs so the brisket fat slow fries this skin A-la-SGH at brisket camp yesterday. If you can't do that, a Little cornstarch dusting will turn the skin into a potato chip.
    Fresh out of Wagyu brisket, but I do have some cornstarch.  I just sprinkled some on the bird.  I can't believe its that simple.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "Does anyone have any advice on getting a crispier skin? " Yes- cook them under a Wagyu brisket for about 4 hrs so the brisket fat slow fries this skin A-la-SGH at brisket camp yesterday. If you can't do that, a Little cornstarch dusting will turn the skin into a potato chip.
    Fresh out of Wagyu brisket, but I do have some cornstarch.  I just sprinkled some on the bird.  I can't believe its that simple.

it is. If it clumps up a little, just spray a little cooking oil spray (Pam) and it will coat evenly.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    When they're about done pull the plate setter and grill then direct skin side down for about ten minutes. Add some weight if you want like a brick wrapped in foil.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Ahhhh..... The crispy skin question again.
    Dave - Austin, TX