Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Afternoon Drums, Wings, and Root Veggies

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Last night on the way home from my folks where I brought a brisket (on of my best BTW) for a cousins's (4 birthdays within 2 weeks) birthday party we were discussing dinner for tonight. My big guy has a ball game today at 4:00 and the food at the snack bars leaves something to be desired... Anyway we stopped by a Weis Market on the way home for chicken drums. They were $1.99/#! Anyway, I got a pack of 5. I figured I'd supplement with some wings I had in the freezer.

This morning first thing I thawed the wings in ice water in the sink. I still don't understand how that works, but had them thawed in about 2 hours. Put both uncovered in the fridge with a fan to help dry the skin and went to church.

Got home this afternoon, and decided to give the Hasty Bake (re-branded Ozark Oak) a try and cleaned out the XL from the RO/Fogo mix I used for the brisket.

I added no smoke wood at all, just the lump. I NEVER saw white smoke. Really wish I was as lucky as @henapple and could get this for cheap.

Mixed up a pan of new potatoes/sweet potatoes/onions and coated with melted butter/salt/pepper.

Coated the drums and wings with Dizzy Pig Raging River and hung in the rack.

Going a bit different this time, 275* indirect (normal is 400* raised direct).

The reason for the lower temp, longer time cook? 

After an hour the wings/drums/potatoes were at 145*-165*. I have about 30 minutes left. Tivo streaming is now tuned in to the NASCAR race instead of Eagles/Redskins and SWMBO will be driving us to the ball game. Will check on food temps now and adjust egg temps accordingly.

Enjoy what little is left of the weekend. They should really make these things 4 days long instead of 2....
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• DMW
    Options
    Everything is finished and FTC'd. At my big guy's game. He is warming up with the team.

My little guy was having some pants problems and mom is helping out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Agree, weekends should be four days. Got some wangs going myself. Enjoy the game.
    Jacksonville FL
  • DMW
    Options
    @dobie‌ Thanks, he just scored a run. Was walked and stole every base (including home) but, hey, its the result that counts, right?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Dobie
    Options
    @DMW‌ hell yeah it counts. Noticed he wasnt wearing his glasses at bat? I struggled early in life needing corrective lenses.
    Jacksonville FL
  • DMW
    Options
    @Dobie My little guy needs the glasses, has had them since he was 18 months, he is almost 5 years now. My big guy is 10 and has great vision.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Dobie
    Options
    OK got the little guy confused with the big guy, day drankin an all....
    Jacksonville FL
  • DMW
    Options
    Here's a wing and some sweet potatoes/onions.

BTW, the drumstick I had before this had a smoke ring. No smoke wood. Didn't have the phone handy so i guess it didn't happen.

imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice stance...looks like a hitter.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Great looking wings.  Love root veggies.  Too warm here still to cook em up.  But when there's a chill in the air, look out.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW‌
    The grub looks excellent as always. That's some fine looking little W's as well!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    @SGH
    Thank you. I really liked the texture of these. Not sure if I will go back to 375*-400* for wings.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Excellent!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL