Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken drumsticks

Options
Zmokin
Zmokin Posts: 1,938
I'm going to cook 4 drumsticks on the BGE for dinner tonight.

I'm wondering what my fellow forum members would recommend in the way of cooking these.

smoke or no smoke wood?  which wood would you recommend?

marinade or dry rub or sauce near the end?

any other ideas are also welcome

I plan to serve these with Kraft Mac'n'Cheese and blanched broccoli with an Asian dipping sauce for the broccoli, if that has any bearing on your recommendation on how to cook and season the drumsticks.
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    You could marinade them with soy sauce, pepper, minced garlic and onion, maybe add a little chili flakes if you like some heat. Cook indirect at 375 for about 45 minutes until done and all the fat rendered and the skin done. If you're feeling fancy switch the egg to direct and crisp them up, maybe baste with a little sauce.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    No smoke wood. Dry them up with a paper towel and apply a dry rub. Cook them indirect and you will have crispy skin. I usually cook mine in a leg hanger.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Lollipops!!

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I've done these inn the past. Pretty awesome
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    edited September 2014
    Options
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    After the marinade, I rubbed the drumsticks with an oil & spice mix.  The drumsticks came out good, sorry, forgot to take pics.  The rice not so well.  It seems the rice cooker didn't do well with coconut milk & water mix, and even though my wife likes yellow curry at Thai restaurants, all she could do was complain about the smell of curry in the house afterwards.  So I solved that problem in the future, threw away my curry.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I always cook 400 Direct & Raised to 180. Smoke is not your friend in chicken/turkey so just one small hand full mixed cherry/pecan chips. I like a dry rub of coffee rub or Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Half the time I will add a BBQ sauce the last 15 mins of a 50/50 mix (see below). All the is the same for turkey legs and wings. imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.