Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark Oak and Rockwood - Anywhere to buy cheap?

Options

OK as a newbie I am sure this topic has been tossed around many times, but I did a search on the forum and cannot find exactly what I am looking for. 

Does anyone know where to buy Ozark Oak or Rockwood lump cheaper than firecraft.com?  I live in NW Georgia and can find Rockwood locally at the same price as firecraft, but cannot find anyone who sells Ozark Oak other than online.  With everyone raving about how good these brands are I really want to try them, but have not brought myself to pay $1/lb for lump and also have to order $100 worth to get the free shipping.   Might breakdown and buy a bag of Rockwood to try to get me started, but really hope I can find these brands cheaper.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    It seems that $20ish is the average for a 20lb bag of RW unless buying a pallet quantity. Unless you live near a Harps or on @henapple traveling lump route OO also is averaged at $1 per lb. All that said I will gladly pay the $1 a lb for the quality of those 2 lumps. My closet RW is 2hr away but on a sales route so I buy 8-10 bags at a time

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I wish I could help, but I was going to suggest Firecraft.com, but I see that you don't want to go that route.  As far as I know there is only one place within an hour from me, (Augusta, GA) that sells Rockwood, but every time I called them they were out. 

I had no choice but to order from Firecraft. The $100 minimum is no big deal considering I don't have to spend time and gas going on a treasure hunt. All I have to do is hit the "Add To Cart" button. 

I have never tried Ozark Oak, but I might one day soon. It is real easy to spend $100 at Firecraft. A couple of bags of lump, a couple of rubs and some sauce and there you have it. 

I love it when FedEx arrives with my order. It is like Christmas! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • weekender
    Options
    Thanks for the quick feedback.  I am open to Firecraft.com, but was just seeing if I had any other options.  Unfortunately I am not near any Harps.  I will just pull the trigger and order as I am sure $100 is easy to spend as @johnkitchens said. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My parents have a place in Arkansas on the lake of the Ozarks and they drive through here on the way back twice a year. Ozark oak is like .50c a pound where they are so I always ask them to get whatever the truck will hold. OO is up there with my favorite lumps and at .50c a pound its probably #1.
  • Philly35
    Options
    I've paid 21 dollars for RW and Ive paid 27 for it. 20 isn't back at all!
    NW IOWA
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    edited September 2014
    Options

Ozark Oak makes Hasty Bake Charcoal.Here's a great deal..free shipping.I think it's still active on Amazon.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Man the 1 click on amazon is dangerous.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I wish I could help, but I was going to suggest Firecraft.com, but I see that you don't want to go that route.  As far as I know there is only one place within an hour from me, (Augusta, GA) that sells Rockwood, but every time I called them they were out. 

Not sure which Ace in Augusta you're talking about--I don't see any that have ever ordered it.  One store on the north side has ordered 6 bags in the last two months. Closer to the city in your sig line, the store in Wrens ordered one bag last month.  Any of these stores can order it, just give them a call and they'll have it in a few days.  I think their warehouse is out right now, so you may have to wait about a week before they can get it......normally it's just a few days though.  Use SKU# 8400772.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    My HastyBake order from Amazon was delayed but I got notice this week that it is back in stock and shipped yesterday.  Can't wait to try it out.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• fljoemon
    Options
    I am expecting my Hasty Bake order to be here tomorrow. will report back on how good it is.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • johnkitchens
    Options

Not sure which Ace in Augusta you're talking about--I don't see any that have ever ordered it.  One store on the north side has ordered 6 bags in the last two months. Closer to the city in your sig line, the store in Wrens ordered one bag last month.  Any of these stores can order it, just give them a call and they'll have it in a few days.  I think their warehouse is out right now, so you may have to wait about a week before they can get it......normally it's just a few days though.  Use SKU# 8400772.

The store I was talking about is Ace Hardware in Evans, GA (an Augusta suburb). When I call they tell me they offer it, but they always say they are sold out. If they aren't getting it from you where are they getting it from?? 

I am 15 miles from Wrens, and you are probably talking about Jay's Hardware I would imagine. 

My local dealer is Miller Supply. They offer eggs and egg accessories, rubs, etc., but the only lump they carry is the BGE lump.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I just buy RO at walmart. Its fine. May have to try plan b this time though. Down to one bag and as you may know, grilling season ended on Labor Day. :) Wally may be out til spring around these parts.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grillnugget
    Options
    I paid $26 and change for RW at my local Ace. When they get an order in, it goes fast! I took the last two bags they had, sold em out in a day.

Glad to read about the hasty bake. I'll look into that but I hope it's not a BGE/RO kinda deal
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Where in Ga are you. The Ace inside the perimeter on Roswell Rd has OO and RW just as you walk in the front doors....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    There are sooo many Eggers in GA. just send out a post "any NWGA Eggers wanna split a load from Firecraft?"
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,656
    Options
    I'd be interested in hearing how the Hasty Bake turns out.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• stlcharcoal
    Options

@johnkitchens @grillnugget

Any Ace in that area can order it; so normally, if they're out, it's because they didn't order it.  They can order 1 bag or 100 bags, and it still comes on their restock truck from the big Ace warehouse in Gainesville, GA.  It will be next week before the warehouse is restocked from us though.

• weekender
    Options

Thanks for all the ongoing feedback.  For @DaveRichardson I live in Dalton, but am in Atlanta on occasion.  I will have to check into that Ace Hardware.  Any idea the cost?  I will also see about some local Ace Hardwares to see if they will order.

Please let us know how Hasty Bake is.

As for the blast about splitting that is a good idea. I am sure I could find plenty of takers in the area.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Not sure. I can check tomorrow. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it to ya!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• johnkitchens
    Options
    @weekender I love Dalton. We have very good friends that live there.

• weekender
    Options

@johnkitchens - Who might your friends be as this is not too large of a town.  Might know them!

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Kevin and Aquila Wright. Kevin is around 40 or so. His dad is Lamar Wright. He used to own Apollo Textiles. 

Do you know them?

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Hey @stlcharcoal, now that I've moved out of CA I'm wondering where I can find RW in or around Madison, WI. Do you have distributors here?

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • weekender
    Options

@johnkitchens - If it is the same Kevin Wright I know he has a son Jackson.  He and my daughter are in the same grade.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    If you can gather some local eggers, splitting a pallet brings the price down and ensures a supply for the winter.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @weekender that is the same one. Jackson and Will are their two sons. His wife is from here and she and my wife are best friends. Small World!! 

What is your daughters name? 

I also know Dr. Jules Crawford a vet in Dalton. He owns property here, and we were at the same dove shoot once. 

PS: Kevin is also an Egghead, but he isn't on this forum. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2014
    Options
    In Atlanta Rockwood is $25 20lb bag at Ace, I get all my lump from Firecraft for $20 a bag and get at least $100 worth, I have quite a few friends with Green Eggs so we will sometimes go in on an order.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • weekender
    Options
    Thanks for the price update @JRWhitee.  Firecraft is cheaper than local on Rockwood so will get an order up with some locals to make the $100 minimum for free shipping.  WOn't be hard to do.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You guys need someone to split 100 pounds of lump?

Wow, maybe I have a hoarding problem...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker