Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you had to choose a type of counter for an outdoor kitchen, what would it be?

Options
I am planning to build an outdoor fireplace and an outdoor kitchen for my eggs. I am wondering what is the best surface for a counter-top? Granite, brick, formica, etc....

Any ideas and real world experience suggestions would be welcome!!!

Thanks...
...AnnaG....

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Options

I would and did go granite. Whatever you do, solid stone or polished concrete is a huge advantage over tile or brick tops. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I have a stainless steel table next to my large which is in a nest... That said, if I had a patio on which to build something; I'd probably go with sealed concrete
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    +1 for granite. Love mine and you can put hot plate setters and accessories right on it and not have to worry about it.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Granite with a Leather finish but I am kinda partial to natural stone :D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mrosener
    Options
    Another vote for granite.

• mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    Granite was my choice also. Beautiful, practical and should last millions more years.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Thank you for sharing those beautiful pics!!!! Looks like granite is leading the poll.... :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'd go quartz. Non-porous so it won't absorb anything and doesn't need to be sealed.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    One word of warning in regards to granite outside- if it's in direct sunlight it will fade fairly quickly. Keep sealing and polishing and colors will come back but it's far from maintenance free. +1 on the leather finish
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I'd go quartz. Non-porous so it won't absorb anything and doesn't need to be sealed.

This is cool if it is not in direct sunlight ever. The resins that hold hold the quartz pebbles in place are not UV resistant and will fade in a matter of months. This is why we have to store our quartz inventory inside.

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

One word of warning in regards to granite outside- if it's in direct sunlight it will fade fairly quickly. Keep sealing and polishing and colors will come back but it's far from maintenance free. +1 on the leather finish

The lighter color granites are way less to susceptible to the fade and even more so the ones that come from India. The leather finish gets rid of any color enhancing resin(not UV stable) and kinda take the stone back to its natural state.
    To the OP any honest fabricator can tell you which stone will hold up outside over the long haul. If you find something you like you can PM me with any questions and I will try to help. Granite is what I do and have done for the last 10yrs.

analyze adapt overcome