Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

iGrill 2

stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody have the iGrill 2 yet?

If anybody read my last post, you may remember that I mentioned I'm waiting for the iGrill 2 that my wife ordered for my birthday. She placed the order mid-August from FireCraft. Soon after she ordered it she received an email that informed her that it was back ordered and will ship approx. the first week of September. After I read the response that @rlnewman‌ wrote on my thread about reviewing the iGrill 2 when I got it, I thought hmm! Why is it not here. So I called iDevices and FireCraft to find out what the deal is.

The iGrill 2 actually was recalled in June and the fixed iGrill 2 should be available October 9th. The lady at iDevices tried to tell me that 10-9-14 was the original release date. When I questioned her, she reluctantly told me that "yes, the iGrill 2 has been released prior and was recalled in June". Before I called iDevices, I called FireCraft to check on the order. The FireCraft representative had a similar story. He told me that iDevices actually told them to remove the iGrill 2 from their website until it gets released with the fixes.

Just wanted to put this information out for those that have the iGrill 2 and are having problems with it. I also wanted to let people who are considering the iGrill 2 know that if you order it, you'll be waiting or receiving an old one that should of been recalled if you take immediate delivery. FireCraft has assured me they will ship it to me when they get their shipment.

One last thing. I'm considering canceling the order and looking at getting the Theroworks Bluetherm Duo. Does anybody use this device from Theroworks?
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• I hope the range and sync is better on the 2 than the 1. It loses connection too much
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    My cheap cuisinart wireless isn't working well so I'm also looking to upgrade. If jumping up to the $200+ range I was wondering if it's worth going to a wifi capable unit like the tappeque, or something that can also control the pit temp as well.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Get the thermoworks product. Bought a maverick 733 in August both probes died on Sunday.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    g37 said:
    Get the thermoworks product. Bought a maverick 733 in August both probes died on Sunday.

They are covered. Call them up and they will send you knew ones @g37‌
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• @stemc33 The official word from iGrill is that the probes have been recalled. They are supposed to be available mid-October. 
  • That explains why Amazon and everywhere else I look shows no igrill2.  The reviews on the maverick 733 had about 50% saying probes went bad.  Seems like the Thermoworks Duo is the dependable way to go.  Thank you stemc33 for posting this.  I hope someone that has the Duo will reply with real usage information so it will help with pulling the final trigger.
    Grill4U

Loving Life!
  • HeathCave
    HeathCave Posts: 69
    edited September 2014
    Excluding the recall, I will say that I have loved my iGrill 2. I've had it since mid June and have had great success with it. But, keep in mind I'm a newly converted gas user and never cooked much more than burgers, chicken and hot dogs until I got my BGE. Whew! My taste buds have been thanking me. :) 

Anyway, I get good reception and I love the graphing feature that it has. It gives you a historical look at your temperature readings from the time you plug in a probe to the time you unplug it. You can rename the probes in the app whatever (For instance: Ambient, Pork butt, Chicken, Brisket) on the fly and set temps for alarms/notifications...all pretty quickly. 

By the way, if you are looking to order more/extra probes (the first generation probes), they gave out a code on their Facebook for 50% off of the probes (K01KC58979). I whined on their FB page about having to send my probes in and be probe-less for weeks and they gave out that code to hold me over. I got them and the older probes haven't been quite as reliable (an occasional disconnect here or there) as the newer ones were, but they worked good enough. 

Overall, I'd say it's a great product. It's no DigiQ with the fan setup, etc obviously, but for a high-tech probe system, it gets the job done plus some. 
    Just chillin' and lovin' the eggin' life! Facebook • My Graphic Design Website
  • I have the original iGrill and liked it.  Pretty reliable....Not 100%....sometimes it would disconnect from BT and only a reboot of the iGrill would fix it.  Not a huge deal for me.

So I pre-ordered the iGrill2 (10/9/14 delivery ETA).  Looking forward to that as my original iGrill has a couple of LED segments out.  Also, the battery life is not the best.  FYI - the FAQ's for the iGrill2 say that the probes from the original are compatible?
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California