Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife sharpening question

I have Cutco knives, and I have the Worksharp knife sharpener (not the Ken Onion edition).  I finally know that the factory bevel on the Cutco straight knives is 30 deg (15 each side).  My sharpener has only a 20 deg guide, which explains why I did not have the success I expected on the Cutco's.

It does not look like I can buy a 15 deg guide as an accessory, and I do not want to buy a whole new sharpener.  Should I try to re-bevel the knives to 20 x 2?  Is there any downside to doing this?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2014
    @Cookinbob‌
    I have never laid eyes on Cutco. Are they hollow ground or no?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Bump

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Pending you reply I will offer this before hand. You can have a small billet of aluminum machined into a 15 degree guide for less than 20 bucks. I have some odd degree knives that I had to do this very thing for.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Then send them in to Cutco for sharpening.  It's very inexpensive. You can use a steel to keep them sharp between annual or semi-annual sharpening.
    edited September 2014
    You have seen cutco knives @SGH‌ . It's what I have. You can get them sharpened for free by contacting a rep who can come to your house or by mailing it in for a free factory sharpening. I can't help on changing the pitch of the blade though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    @nolaegghead‌
    Do you know if they are hollow ground?

Status- Standing by.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Yes.  This chef knife is the one I really care aboutimage
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SGH
    It being hollow ground I would not recommend trying to change the pitch unless you are well versed in this arena. Sent them to Cutco my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    On blades like below, you can easily change the pitch. On hollow ground blades you will be cutting into the "swedge". I do not recommend trying it.image

Status- Standing by.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    You might also check if a local hardware store can do it. Mine are headed that way shortly.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SGH said:
    @nolaegghead‌ Do you know if they are hollow ground?
    @SGH - I doubt it at 15 degrees.  But I don't know.  I use a Tormek style sharpener and it technically hollow grinds everything.  But it's a 5" radius.

If you have a wet grinder, you can grind over any angle.  A hand sharpener, fuggehtaboutit.
    @nolaegghead‌
    No doubt brother. It certainly can be done. My only concern was it should not be attempted by someone who is not well versed in hollow grinding. He mentioned that the knife was a heirloom of such. Just didn't want him to think that re tapering a hollow ground knife was a piece of cake for someone who has never attempted it before. You can ruin one very quick if you don't know what you are doing and have the proper equipment for the task at hand. But I do agree it can be done. Just not a easy task for the inexperienced.

Status- Standing by.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I have taken all my work and home knives and put on a Japanese edge. There is no bevel at all. both sides of the blade come to a direct point with no change in angle.

It does take time on several grits of stone but it is definitely worth the efforts in the long run.

• Knife question :

I have some Japanese Knives and German knives .
    Can I use a honinig steal on all of them ?
    Toronto
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239

Knife question :

I have some Japanese Knives and German knives .
    Can I use a honinig steal on all of them ?
    Many of the Japanese knives have steel harder than the hone. I understand some of the newer German knives are reaching the same hardness.

The "honing" steels aren't really for honing, which is a form of sharpening. They are for smoothing out small wobbles in an established edge. Typically, the steels are around 500 grit, w. is OK for many knives, which have ony been sharpened to around 300 grit. Ceramic hones, which I use on my better knives, are around 1200 grit. But I don't sharpen my edges higher than that. For those that go to 3000+ grits, a "hone" ruins the edge.

Using one also presumes that one can hold the same bevel angle as the blade bevel. For day to day touch up, I have reasonable results just stropping the edges on a sheet of heavy brown paper on a flat counter surface. Much less pressure on any part of the edge, and the paper is around 1600 grit, tho it smooths out quickly.
  • awesome thanks !

would butcher paper be considered brown paper or are you talking brown paper bags ?

Toronto
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Sack paper or kraft paper is what I've been using. The butcher paper I've worked with has been thinner and smoother. Not as good.
  • cool thanks !
    Toronto