Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A little hands on projects LOL

Working on turning a new handle for my XL. This started off as a square block of zebra wood.

photo 22ADF779-5C03-48A8-8D69-524553547C83_zpsbsea7pii.jpg

photo 96BEF620-80D9-4EE8-A642-E6617674D510_zps7kj51l5w.jpg
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I wish I had the tools and skills for projects like that!

I never really got into wood working in high school, but spent plenty of time in the metal shop. I would love to have a CNC lathe at home.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    @DMW‌ My problem is I'm into both! Just picked up a 120 lb anvil today and a post leg vice. My wife just shakes her head!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Zebra wood? Man, at my local exotic dealer you have about $100 worth of shavings and dust there! :))

I like black walnut the best for turning, ever tried it? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Dude, the lathe was my favorite tool in wood shop.  Thanks for bringing back some good memories.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GeorgeS
    @Skiddymarker‌ The zebra wood was expensive! That piece was about 12" long and about 4.5" square. It cost $59! Nothing in comparison to the lathe and tools though. I haven't tried any walnut yet but a cherry bowl is next then a walnut pepper grinder. I'm hoping that at some point after honing my skills I might be able to create a little side business for myself making handles and grill tools. All hand made from raw metal and wood blanks. I have to purchase a forge next.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    cazzy said:

Dude, the lathe was my favorite tool in wood shop.  Thanks for bringing back some good memories.

You're my favorite tool.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GeorgeS
    @cazzy‌ My tenth grade shop teacher actually had to threaten a failing grade to get me off the wood lathe. I've wanted to purchase one for years. It's funny when I started watching videos on YouTube before I picked up the lathe I could still remember the feel of the tool, the sound it made, the smell of the wood and the feeling of the warm saw dust landing on my arm. My wife tells me all the time there is something wrong with me while shaking her head and smiling at me, I'm beginning to think she's right!
  • GeorgeS
    henapple said:

cazzy said:

You're my favorite tool.
    Please do not tell us how you use him!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    henapple said:
    You're my favorite tool.
    I love you too dad!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Very nice!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• GeorgeS
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌ Thank you!