Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket, flat at 205, point at 180 - seperate?

This is somewhat urgent as my flat seems to be done but the point is still at 180is yet pretty tender.  Should I separate and keep cooking the point?  I a doing this travis style and it has only taken 4 hours from start to now for a 13 pounder.  Cooking very fast!

Comments

• Never cooked that sytle but if the thickest part of the flat is probbing like butter than definitly separate. FTC the flat and put the point back on to render out some more fat.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• I ended up separating (and having a taste).  Man!  It is good!  I can only assume because of the fast cook time the point has to play catch up because it is so fatty.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    That is a very, very quick cook for a 13lb'r. What temp is your dome thermometer?

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• I would separate and put the point back on for 2 more hours. You could also cube the point, add some more rub to it and put in a foil pan to finish.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Probably too late but sounds like perfect time for burnt ends
    Greensboro, NC
  • I just took the point off.  I might make burnt ends later...is that doable?  I was going to refrigerate and make burnt ends in a few days.    this is just for me.  I was bored so I figured id cook this brisket today (and I work from home).  but I don't really feel like dealing with the whole burnt ends thing right now....plus I need to get some work done at some point today! 

Thermometer is calibrated.  I clip my IQ120 pit monitor probe to the thermometer when I cook.  both read 300 dead on for most of the cook.  The most it ever varied was 5 degrees

• Love that - travis style. It even has a name now  :D

For 13 pounder, that's very fast even at 300 F.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I've never done the brunt ends later. You could just fyi the point and cut it into cubes for dinner. The brunt ends only need another hour or so. If pressed for time don't worry about it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.