Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GRAVY : can anyone share a Quick & Tasty Gravy recipe?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
I got two Pork Tenderloins in the brine now & my plan is to butterfly and stuff before hitting the BGE tonight.  I will be stuffing them with my mom's legendary "thanksgiving stuffing" that has that traditional flavors like sage/celery/onion/parsley/etc.  Just found a Tupperware of it in my feezer (sorry ma) so figured I should use it up before we get too close to thanksgiving 2014.  I would like to smoother the finished stuffed tenderloin with a GRAVY but never made one before . . any thoughts/suggesions?

I searched for gravys here and found many comments about Naked Whiz's mad mex gravy . . . but that is too much work and I dont have giblets, etc.  

HDumptyEsq - I see you posted a pork chop awhile back with a "shallot, sage and mushroom gravy to smother" . . could you share?

Thanks!  
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It took me at least a dozen tries to make decent gravy. Basically, one makes a roux, which is flour browned in fat, usually butter. Then pan drippings are added till one gets the right consistence, season as one goes along. The way you are doing the pork, you won't have pan drippings, so you'll have to substitute stock, or some of the concentrated stuff on the market that's been diluted.

The classic problem w. gravy is that the flour clumps. There are pre-processed starches, like Wondra that dissolve more smoothly.

Basic roux is have equal weights of fat and flour. Heat the the oil so that its pretty warm. Butter will foam and stop. Add small amounts of the starch, whisking continually. The starch will brown, giving a toasted flavor. One needs to get at least to where the color is golden brown, also called a blond roux. At that point, warm drippings or stock can be added. Again, gradually, whisking all the time. I usually use a half stick of butter, equal weight of Wondra, and have about a quart of stock on hand. When the gravy is hot, it will seem thinner, but as it cools, the gelatinized starch will continue to swell and stiffen. I prefer to add enough fluid that the gravy seems a little thin at first.

FWIW, roux can be made ahead, and frozen in chunks. That way, many sauces are half made ahead of time.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @gdenby - When freezing your roux, how much per package do you suggest?
    Flint, Michigan
  • gdenby
    Options
    More organized people than I pour it into ice cube trays. Typically, I pour a batch  half an inch thick into disposable aluminum pie plates or tray. Once chilled, break the slab up and put it all in a freezer bag.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I'm not sure if you guys can get Bisto down there but it will make a decent white or brown gravy with some stock and a fat.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I wish I had written down more exact amounts but I pretty much do what @gdenby‌ says. I make a roux with about 4 tbs of butter, and regular flour, and let it cook until it starts to change color. Then I whisk in hot chicken stock over medium to medium high heat. I like to sauté half an onion and put that in the gravy, and I'll add some fresh herbs too, like tarragon and thyme and summer it all together. Then strain out the onion and herbs and season to taste with salt and pepper. If it's not thick enough don't add more regular flour, use something like wondra.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    i make a roux like was mentioned. with this cook i put low sodium chicken stock in a roasting pan about ab inch up the stuffed pork loin and cooked the loin about half way, the chilled the stock in the freezer in a pre chilled pan, removed the fat on top and added it to the roux as mentioned. i usually cheat and add a mccormicks packet of pork gravey at the end

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1227712&catid=1&leftstyle=l-thin

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Know it is cheating, but a home made roux with chicken stock is good base, then we add one package of pork gravy mix, Club House is our favourite brand. The mixes by themselves are too salty, when combined with some low sodium broth (if you don't have your own) butter, herbs, onion powder and flour you can get a nice gravy. 

+1 on the Wondra or Robin Hood flour. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Really want to cheat? One can condensed cream of mushroom soup. Only add about 1/2 can of milk, S&P to taste. Its actually pretty good in a pinch.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    gamason said:
    Really want to cheat? One can condensed cream of mushroom soup. Only add about 1/2 can of milk, S&P to taste. Its actually pretty good in a pinch.
    Our preferred on chicken fried steak. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    gdenbyblind99Skiddymarkerfishlessman  . . . and everyone else who wrote back - you guys rock!  

I read your advice and going for it tonight after I search the market for some Wondra.  Also, I just found this "Condensed Turkey Stock" in my cupboard.  Had it forever so I would like to find a use for it . . think this will work instead of chicken stock or too salty?

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @NDG‌ I think you are all set. Reconstitute as they recommend. Don't add any extra salt until you've tasted it at the end.

I keep 2 cup portions of stock in the freezer. I save the carcass of the bird and put it in the crock pot with carrots, onion, celery, plenty of herbs, and whole peppercorns, and let it go overnight. I leave the salt out so I can adjust later.

Let us know how it works out!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gdenby
    Options
    The turkey stock should be ok. Looks like it is very concentrated. The dilution should help the turkey flavor from overpowering the pork tenderloin. Lots of good savory veg flavor in there that will pair w. the stuffing.

Its curious. People cook pork all the time. But the market only has pre-made beef, poultry, veg, and fish stock. Seems weird to me. Never seen even red-eye gravy on a shelf.

Good luck, have fun.

When you have time, learn to make stock. Homemade is ++ better than store bought. Learn to make a roux. Sooner or later someone will call you Escoffier.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    If I fry, then bring down the heat on the gease, dump most of it out but the crunchy parts, then add flower. stir and then add 1/4 cup of milk mixed with the rest of a 2 culp glass of water.  Cook on low heat until you reach the desired consintinsy.   I always have to add salt.   The wife always has me make the gravy.   My Mom taught me. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.