Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mock Chicken Legs!

GaryLange
GaryLange Posts: 418
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
I finally got around to making the Mock Chicken Legs I had talked about before. It seems my Chickens got done sooner then expected so I decided to make these while the BGE was hot. They are a combination of Beef and Pork and I used a Pork Roast and Beef Roast cut into bite size pieces for the meat. In the 40's they used Pork and Veal but for me the Veal is a little high. They at threaded onto Skewers alternating Beef/Pork until you have about a 6"-7" skewer. You then roll them in flour, Egg, and Panko bread crumbs. Doing these on the BGE was an experiment for me and although they turned out alright I now wish I had Browned them in Canola oil first instead of just doing them on the egg as they weren't as browned and crispy as I wanted. Next time I will brown them first and then do them indirect at 250 to 300 until they are done. Here are some pictures for reference.image

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited September 2014
    City Chicken!!! My Mom made these when I was growing up. They were always a favorite! She used pork & veal and breaded them with Italian bread crumbs. She pan fried them in oil.
    Flint, Michigan
  • They still look pretty good to me. I love old-school recipes.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    That's impressive for sure. Bookmarked and added to the to do list. Thanks for sharing. I'm a huge fan of old time recipes!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    City Chicken!!! My Mom made these when I was growing up. They were always a favorite! She used pork & veal and breaded them with Italian bread crumbs. She pan fried them in oil.
    That's how we did them as well Fred.  My wife's family used ground pork/veal, shaped like a chicken leg on a stick, breaded and pan fried.
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Wow. I've said it before but this is why I love this forum, the creativity of you folks never ceases to impress me. My meat lovin kiddos will be all over that
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer