Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jalapeno, Sausage, Honey Pizza w/ Pic

Options
Tried my first pizza on the egg last night. I was overall happy with the results though there is still room for improvement. For context, this was my sixth cook on the egg total.

I used the Spider w/ indirect heating and then a raised adjustable rig with the pizza stone on top; ended up being pretty high in the dome. I unfortunately used a bunch of leftover lump from my prior cooks, and it probably wasn't enough. I got the egg to around 650, placed in the equipment, and then the temp peaked only at 550 with the vents wide open (was aiming for 600). I let the stone heat for probably only 30 minutes and should have done 45 but we were hungry. Cooked the pizzas for 10 minutes each. My main take-away was the crust needed to be a bit crispier with longer pre-heating and a hotter stone. Other than that, I feel a lot more confident now that I have the process down. The super pizza peel makes it so easy - worth every penny. 

I did two pies: 1) Kalamata olive and red onion (not pictured) 2) Sausage, Jalapeno, and honey. I stole the SJH ingredient combo from a local restaurant. The flavors really kick ass and I highly recommend if you are looking for new pizza recipes. Btw, I used serrano jalapenos, which I like better than the regular ones. My wife said I put on too many, but I felt it was right on. So either go with regular jalapenos if you want less kick, or just don't put as many serranos. Also, I forgot to use cornmeal on the stone for the first pie and thankfully realized it wasn't necessary when I took it off. I used it on the second pie, just cause I like the cornmeal flavor / texture, but maybe I'll just skip it next time.

The hardest part for me is still figuring out how much lump, and how to effectively use the leftover lump, any recommendations?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks excellent from where I'm sitting! Every time I see a good looking pizza it just gets my goat. I love pizza but I stink at making them!! Again yours look excellent.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Pizza looks great. Thanks for sharing the details of your cook.

Did you run out of lump or just couldn't bring up the temp? You'll burn through lump faster with the high cooks, but a firebox full should be plenty for two pizzas. With that said, It also doesn't take a lot of lump to get a 600° temp? Did you check to see if you had airflow issues?

As far as left over lump goes, it's great for pizzas and desserts because you've already burned off the nasty VOC's and it comes up to temp faster.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks great. Welcome aboard and keep the food coming.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH