Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just some skin?

Options
So just watched an Anthony Bourdain episode highlighting Japan and one of his favourites there was the grilled chicken skin. This got me thinking about how I can never get good crispy chicken skin on the egg and if removing it and grilling the skin separately from the chicken meat and then adding it back to the chicken later is worth the effort ? I have air dried and corn starched with limited success and it just wasn't good enough. Anyone ever do this or is it a crazy idea? Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    never heard of anyone doing that. sounds interesting though.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    My chicken skin is always crispy. Dry rub then 400F for 45-60 minutes. Higher temperature is the key.

Options
    paqman said:
    My chicken skin is always crispy. Dry rub then 400F for 45-60 minutes. Higher temperature is the key.

Done this doesn't cut it for me,maybe we have thicker chicken skin down here? Maybe I'm over critical and expect deep fried results that are not possible on a grill.

• paqman
    Options
    The skin on my chicken is as crispy as skin can be... maybe you could try detaching the skin from the meat. It is easy to do, you just have to move your fingers underneath the skin.

Options
    paqman said:
    The skin on my chicken is as crispy as skin can be... maybe you could try detaching the skin from the meat. It is easy to do, you just have to move your fingers underneath the skin.

Good idea Paqman I never tried that I'll give it a try next time.

• paqman
    Options
    A little sugar in the rub also helps but you have to watch it because it can easily burn at higher temperatures...

Options
    I just checked out the Japanese Grill cookbook I have. They recommend cooking yakitori style. Fold the skin over itself after salting lightly onto a skewer and grill over high heat until browned and crispy.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've skinned thighs a couple of times, and cooked the skin separate towards the end. Much easier to crisp it, tho' serving it pinned to the meat by a tooth-pick leaves something to be desired.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    But serving it on a toothpick on the side sounds starngely AWESOME!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    The best way to get crispy skin on the egg.......a Dutch oven and oil!