Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood lump - long time to light

Options
I've done my third cook with Rockwood. All three times it was hard to get it lit and going. Using the same technique I've used for two years - two or three oil soaked paper towels. Used this with RO, Wegmans, BGE, WGWW, Ozark Oak, ForrestLump, Cowboy. The Rockwood was the hardest to get started and up to temp. First time I had to actually restart the light, as it didn't take the first time. Once lit, it burns hot as you want, very clean and very little ash. Very mild flavor. Overall I like the results, but I need to add 30 minutes on the front end. Anyone else have trouble getting it lit?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother I have not had this issue at all. But I light from the top and use a weed burner. This could make a huge difference vs your bottom lighting oil/towel method.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I actually light from the top with the paper towel. Every once in a while I do a bottom light when I want to get hot fast, but for the most part, I light from the top. Weed burner may be the difference, however my lighting technique is the same for multiple lumps so only difference is the lump.
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you are having issues with it. But thus far I love it. I just picked a truck load of it up earlier today.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I may try lighting it without the weed burner just to see.

Status- Standing by.

• Tjcoley
    Options
    The only issue I have is getting it started. Otherwise I'd rate it excellent and will continue to use. Out of curiosity, I just checked the Naked Whiz review, and they only rated it 2 stars for lighting.
    Options
    @SGH not sure what time zone Biloxi is but it seems you have the same insomnia issues I have.
    Options
    @Tjcoley‌
    We are CST. I don't sleep much at all brother Coley. I never have. If I'm lucky I get 5 hours in a 24 hour period. I have a severe nerve disorder that plagues me. I keep on keeping on though!!!

Status- Standing by.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    I had trouble with oil soaked towels with any lump. Found it very inconsistent. Went back to the electric coil, now 8 minutes for out of the bag lump, 6 minutes for second burn lump. Electric is easy for me, have an outlet within 14" of the egg, no extension cord needed. Still waiting to try Rockwood. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Agree Rockwood takes me longer to light with my cheap paper towel method :)

Get some sleep guys, and take care of those nerves @SGH‌
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    Options
    @blind99‌
    I'm trying brother. Sometimes it's a losing battle my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Tjcoley
    Options
    @Skiddymarker‌ I was inconsistent with the towels when I made them up fresh every time. I now keep a Tupperware container that holds about a whole roll of paper towels folded in fourths. Every inch or so gets a tablespoon of oil. After a couple of days the towels soak up the oil and become a wick. Don't remember who posted the technique using a coffee can and a rock or I would give them credit. Very cheap and consistent. I just pull out a couple of towels, light and good to go.
    Options
    @Tjcoley‌ Interesting you have had that issue. I do the exact same thing with Rockwood and have not had a problem. Seems to start right up wight me with the paper towel and oil and I don't even soak them. Just stuff the paper towel in there and pour a little oil on top. Pretty much works every time.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    May I ask what type of "oil" you guys use on the paper towel, I'm still using the little paraffin starters.Thanks.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    Mobil 1 synthetic, 5W30.  I don't use new oil, I use the stuff that comes out of my car.  Its got a little bit of gas mixed in there which helps it burn much better.

Seriously though, I just use Wesson Vegetable oil.  I fold a paper towel over a few times, put it on a plate, then pour a little VO over the top of it.  Do it before you rake the ash out of the coals to give it a few minutes to soak in.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I am a big fan of Rockwood and also of the oil soaked paper towel method now.  2 tightly rolled paper towels soaked in wesson, put in the middle in an "X" formation and throw some of the lump on top and light.  
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Canola oil
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have noticed longer starting times when using dense charcoal like Fogo. On the one bag of Rockwood I tried I didn't think about startup time, but I use an electric starting element, so I just let it go til lit.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    On my bag number 8 of Rockwood and no problems lighting using the green egg or kj fire starter.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    anton said:
    May I ask what type of "oil" you guys use on the paper towel, I'm still using the little paraffin starters.Thanks.
    Maybe that was my problem, I used "used" oil. Once it was time to change the deep fryer oil, I'd layer towels in an old coffee can using the fold one, fold a few more and add 15ml of oil as @Tjcoley directed. Maybe used too much oil? Much better than the starter cubes, but not consistent for me. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    It may have just been a bad bag, I was using olive oil and paper towel with Rockwood and never had a problem. I got the looftlighter for my birthday and have been using that, it is fantastic by the way. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @Tjcoley - My guess is that you have a bag that got a little damp somehow. I have been through nearly 30 bags of Rockwood. The only time I have a slow start-up is if the bag was left open (not rolled down tight) in very high humidity. I have a half bag right now that is slow to start but that's because it was accidentally left on the deck during a light sprinkle of rain. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I agree with @miniemoh. I am in Georgia, and it has been very humid this summer. The other night I cooked, and it did take a little longer than normal for me to light my Rockwood.

I did however use a bag that had been left out on my porch. The bag was rolled down, but it certainly was exposed to the dampness in the air. 

With that being said I LOVE Rockwood. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Rplatt2
    Options
    I use a looft lighter with no problems
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    I just relit the used lump and it was up to temp in no time.  Maybe it was the humidity, but it is stored in a cinderblock shed right next my other lump, which I haven't had an issue with. 
    Options
    I use one half paper towel soaked in olive oil and it will get hot enough to sear in about 15 minutes max. Sometimes it is slow to light but I think that is more the air conditions than anything. I could be 100% wrong but that is my theory.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    I just relit the used lump and it was up to temp in no time.  Maybe it was the humidity, but it is stored in a cinderblock shed right next my other lump, which I haven't had an issue with. 
    I had a similar issue with Rockwood on Sunday. I was out of town and didn't egg for more than 2 weeks. I think it was the humidity of the air combined with teh fact that my egg is under cover, leading to more trapped moisture in the egg.
  • mollysue
    Options
    I used to use the rolled up paper towel and veggoe oil successfully Sometimes though it took longer than expectedm 20-25 minutes to get up to 350. I now use the 91% rubbing alcohol method which was popular a while back. It works great when I follow the video. Since i could not get the 60 ml injector I used a $1:00 plastic condiment container from Walmart, filled with about 1/4 cup of alcohol. You just have to hold the squeeze bottle on a slant so it does not all come out at once.
    I have not wxplained the method here since the video does a much better job. However the video is sometimes hard to find. Good luck. So far i like this way best to light the fire.
    Rockwood lump is fantastic, no burned wood taste.
  • mollysue
    Options
    Sorry, there are a few typos above. I should have proofed read it first