Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The perfect Pork Butt

I think I finally mastered smoking some butt.  I had 3 8 to 9 pound pork butts.  rinsed and patted dry.  rubbed some cheap mustard on it.  put my favorite rub on. wrapped in clear wrap and let it sit in the fridge for 12 hours.  Preparing the egg.  I first put a layer of apple chunks on the bottom.  BGE charcoal on top of that.  Got it lit.  got the temp to about 275.  placed another layer of apple and cherry wood that was soaking in water for 3 hours on top. placed the place setter with legs up.  I put a pan with apple vinegar cider and water on top of the place setter. shut the lid with an inch on the bottom and the vents open on top.  once the temp started to get about 190, I put the meat on.  Yes, I know that is low but I made sure the heat was rising.  Once it hit 250 at the dome, I shut the bottom vent to 3/4" and the top to a quarter open.  I was able to maintain that temperature for the whole smoke without any adjustments.   Once the meat stalled at 157, I took it off and wrapped them tight in foil.  I took them off at 196. wrapped them in a blanket for one hour in a cooler.  They came out perfect. 
I put it on at nine at night.  at 3 in the morning it stalled.  took them off at 12:00 pm to rest.  I saved all of the juice and put back on the meat after shredding.  

Comments

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Nice, I'm taking notes :D
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Dude that sounds like a perfectly planned and executed cook. But before I can agree that the result is perfect I'lll need you to send me a gallon ziplock bag of the pulled pork so I can taste it.
    Thanks in advance.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The rest period can't be underestimated for butts coming out perfect. I always build in 2 hrs at least. Glad you hit a home run!
  • Sounds like it was a great cook. I am sure it was very tasty. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Sounds like you nailed it.  
    But, wow, you use a lot more smoke wood than I do, a "layer of chunks" and then another layer on top of the lump.  I use maybe a half-cup of chips, or one or two chunks (albeit I never smoke more than one butt at a time).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I think that you will find that soaking wood chunks really doesn't do anything.  Just mix the wood in with the lump and you are good to go.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Thanks for posting this. Looks great and sounds like you have a good handle on things.  I am going to try my first butt on Monday. I am a little nervous because I dont have any temp probes like most do. I will have to check with a handy dandy thermometer.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2014
    @ribach03‌
    Glad that you nailed it. Also great job of documenting the prep and the cook. Congratulations my friend. I'm always glad to see someone succeed!!

@Dillonjm‌
    Brother don't be nervous about not having temp probes. I have never owned or used them myself. Also pork shoulder has a very large window of opportunity if you will. And also it closes at a very slow rate compared to say brisket or one of the deltoid heads on beef. Go for it without fear my friend. You will be glad that you did. Can't wait to see it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Looks great thanks for the tips!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • QDude
    Dillonjm said:
    Thanks for posting this. Looks great and sounds like you have a good handle on things.  I am going to try my first butt on Monday. I am a little nervous because I dont have any temp probes like most do. I will have to check with a handy dandy thermometer.
    Temp probes just get you in the ballpark and keep the cook going along well without losing heat by having to check the butt frequently.  The test of "doneness" is a probe with a fork or knife.  When it goes in like butter, it is done.  Also, if the bone can be wriggled away from the surrounding meat easily, it is also likely to be done.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• @QDude

Thanks for the tips. I will make the forum proud with the cook. I figured it was expertly done way before probes were around anyway. It should be fun.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

@Dillonjm-don't worry about probes as noted above.   Here's a cheap and perhaps mid-easing work around: go to your local market and buy (<$8-10) an analog "leave in the meat while cooking"  probe designed thermo.  You can do a quick "ball-park" calibration check by boiling some water and letting in cool for a couple of minutes.  Then insert the thermo and it should read somewhere in the high 190's to low 200's.  You can adjust if grossly out of whack.

Then when cooking insert the thermo so you can see it thru the DFMT.  Easy way to get close without having to open and close the dome for an instant read check.  Align the 200*F (or high end range) with vertical, that way a quick look lets you know how close you are.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • QDude
    Dillonjm said:
    @QDude

Thanks for the tips. I will make the forum proud with the cook. I figured it was expertly done way before probes were around anyway. It should be fun.
    You will do fine with the pork butt.  Even when undercooked a bit, the meat will taste great.  I recommend doing a google search on "Chris Lilly" pork butt recipe.  It is great.

Look for the Maverick ET732 or 733 in the future.  Amazon puts them on sale periodically for around $45.  It is money well spent and will help you with your cooks.  Is it absolutely needed?  No but it really makes cooking a lot easier.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Ive seen pictures where some make 1/2" depth cuts in a crosshatch pattern prior to seasoning.
    Gittin' there...
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Nicely done. I did 2 pork butts this Labor Day, but was hoping to let them rest at least an hour, but neighbors wanted to eat earlier so they didn't get to rest much before pulled. Now I now why they didn't have as much juice. I also took them the whole way unfoiled. I did mine turbo method, with temps between 350-400. They tasted great, but not as juicy as my last turbo cook. I think I will try one foiled when it gets to 160 and the other not to see what happens. Thank you for sharing. Here are mine.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • You don't get any bark with that long foiling, do you? Not everyone cares about bark. I like the crunch.
    Judy in San Diego