Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Flat Help

Options
I am going to experiment with a small flat first and see how that goes. It's just me and the wife so I didn't want to buy a $60 piece of meat. I ended up getting a 2.88 lb. flat but it has a nice layer of fat. Any recommendations before this thing goes on? I was going to go 225 until it reads 203 degrees....thoughts? Has anyone done a flat this small?
Dallas, TX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Never been with a flat that small but once you get down into those weights it's a crap shoot.  I would run at around 250*F or so on the calibrated dome til about 160-170 then foil with some beef broth til you can probe the thickest part and it feels "like buttah". 
    Now as much as it pains me to offer the following-I do so in the interest of the fact that his procedure has received great reviews: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1 
    Go forth and let us know how you cooked that hunk of beef and the results.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Would cooking it at a lower temp help? I've seen that post and I'll probably do that next time. I am not prepared for this go around. 
    Dallas, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited September 2014
    Options
    TN2TX said:
    Would cooking it at a lower temp help? I've seen that post and I'll probably do that next time. I am not prepared for this go around. 
    If you can get a 3lb flat to behave and act right without braising it, you will be the first I've known to do it. they are really difficult to get tender before they dry out. I'm sure people have, I just haven't heard many sucess stories and I've personally destroyed several trying.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Foil and toss in some beef broth and worcestershire sauce once you clear 160 or so.  It will taste great and turn out fine as long as you run til the thickest part probes with no resistance.  And if it all goes south-then chopped up with your favorite Q sauce will produce great Q sandwiches.  BTW-I have hosed up many a flat just never one that small.  And I don't do the "how-I-do-it" process.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TN2TX
    Options
    @the cen-tex smoker I hope that I make history tonight. I'll show pictures when it's done. I am registering 149 internal. I don't think that I will do any foil this go around. Maybe next time. I am more or less curious on how this turns out. 
    Dallas, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TN2TX said:
    @the cen-tex smoker I hope that I make history tonight. I'll show pictures when it's done. I am registering 149 internal. I don't think that I will do any foil this go around. Maybe next time. I am more or less curious on how this turns out. 

I hope you do too. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TN2TX
    Options
    I am stalling at 163 and I want to eat in 1.5 hours. Should I turn up the heat or foil? 
    Dallas, TX
  • lousubcap
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Dome temp is?  Regardless, I would foil as I mentioned above-but I am pushing against the proverbial @Cen_Tex who can score a brisket cook while tossing water-melons and more.  That said, he has much more packer experience and I have hosed more flats than he can count.  Your call-finishing early beats the alternative!  You are likely going to miss the finish-line regardless but stranger things have happened.  Good luck
  • TN2TX
    Options
    Dome temp is 163 right now 239. It has been a battle between 225 and 250 all day. I don't want to crutch it unless absolutely necessary. Is it better to foil vs. turn up the heat? What is a safe temp to go up to?
    Dallas, TX
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I'd foil a small flat. Can only help from drying out.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• lousubcap
    Options
    If time is on your side, then you have a few options (If you have not yet cooked a flat-it is a challenge) you could dial up the dome to as much as 350-400*F ( but going there is a whole new cooking experience and one not conducive to a flat) but I would swallow the no crutch pride and foil and finish.  However, if you truly  want to ride it "naked" to the finish-line then take the dome to north of 300*F and wait til you are there.  FWIW-
  • TN2TX
    Options
    Good advice. Dome temp is now 241, sounds like I have some wiggle room. I could open up the vents a bit and get it close to 300. I am still in the 163 stall. 
    Dallas, TX
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Good news is this can only end two ways. Curious what side you end up on. That's a small flat...
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• lousubcap
    Options
    I will read the end results as I have to depart the forum but it will be quite tasty regardless of how it finishes.  Flats-always a ride regardless of size.
  • TN2TX
    Options
    Turned out OK but not great. Tasted more like roast beef to be honest. Lacked a good smoke ring and that juicy brisket texture. I think it was just way to small. 
    Dallas, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @TN2TX‌
    Brother I know a trick that really helps with flats if you are interested my friend. Panning works but there are other alternatives as well. Let me know if you would like some suggestions.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TN2TX
    Options
    @SGH‌ I am open to all the help I can get. IMO I ruined this one so I don't want to make that mistake again. Let me know your thoughts.
    Dallas, TX
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    +1 on the Travis style. Chop it up for brisket chili.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CapnKirk
    Options
    Some brisket chili with a slight bbq sauce kicker....that and some Texas Toast and you're slummin in a good way....