Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sub-zero Temp BBQing

Does anyone have experience with the BGE in the winter around Calgary AB. We get extreme temps (-35 below) and wondered if it is possible to BBQ without damaging the egg. I would really hate to hibernate it for the winter.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Welcome aboard! I'm just north of Toronto, no problem egging in the winter.  However, a real concern is your dome, cap or vent door may be frozen shut!  Do a forum search on 'frozen shut' to see how others address the issue.  Enjoy the egg ride!
    canuckland
  • Thanks! I will. Now I just have to figure out how to keep myself warm while doing it.

• My record is -34 C. The egg works better the colder it gets

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    My record in The Sunshine State is 15℉
    Didn't even phase it.

Like 15℉ is even cold :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My record is a mere -10 F, w. windchill dropping it to -20. Not a problem for the Egg.

Worst winter problem was an ice storm that left a 1/2" shell around the Egg. Had to use a torch to melt lots of that away.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2014
    I'm in Winnipeg and to nervous to cook at anything below -15. That being said I do a run of favourites prior to winter.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    My very first cook was at 0 degrees with a wind chill of  -10 and no problems. I live in Michigan and Egg all year and no problems with the cold.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    My dealer said it should be good to -40, but make sure the gasket is stuck when start.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Why anyone would want to cook in those temps is beyond me. :) I did it for the first 2-3 years of egg ownership. Then, I remembered that my oven still does a very good job. And my kitchen is MUCH warmer than my patio! Yeah, I still egg in winter, but often elect to stay indoors. Butts or other lo n slo cooks are good choices... Light the lump, put the meat on, come back when done. Three, maybe four trips outside.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Why anyone would want to cook in those temps is beyond me. :) I did it for the first 2-3 years of egg ownership. Then, I remembered that my oven still does a very good job. And my kitchen is MUCH warmer than my patio! Yeah, I still egg in winter, but often elect to stay indoors. Butts or other lo n slo cooks are good choices... Light the lump, put the meat on, come back when done. Three, maybe four trips outside.
    Tend to agree, we don't see the frigid weather much of Canada and the northern border states see, but when the heat is on in the house, using the oven is a wise move. Nothing is wasted. I do miss the smoke flavour, the oven is not so good at that - but then there are always those thaw days to get your smoke fix. 
    Unlike a propane gasser, the egg is pretty much unaffected by cold - if you can get the dome up.  
    @Nanook - fellow Albertan needing help here.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Go for it. I am on the wet coast. Some of our winters are sub zero with snow. Not like yours for temps. (Have family in airdrie) so I know what your winter is like. Get out there and grill something or do a low and slow as mentioned. Drive the neighbours crazy with some BBQ smells. ( they might not be sticking their noses out in the cold). But you should try it
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Carolina Q
    Yeah, Skiddy, it's not the egg, it's the eggER! :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    I for one think a steak cooked in sub freezing weather tastes much better than the ones cooked in the summer! I feel like I'm cheating the seasons when I'm grilling in the winter time. Bring on Old Man Winter!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

I egged once last winter around 40* F or so.  Man that sucked.
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    buzd504 said:

I egged once last winter around 40* F or so.  Man that sucked.

Post of the day!! Thanks for the laugh, man! =))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited September 2014
    Us wooses in California start crying when it is 60 Degrees!! You are resilient.
    :((
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    When I bought my egg I asked the dealer if i could use it in the winter.She told no problem but when i was done.i should use a shim to hold open the lid so the condensation   wont freez   on the gasket   
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Eggin in Northern Ontario, never had an issue with the lid freezing shut. It's in a table and always covered with good ventilation. I don't think that I've cooked @ -40 C but definitely deep into the -30's. I usually give it lots of time to come up to temp just in case there is some moisture in the ceramic.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Thank you all for your input. I have learned that if you can do anything you enjoy without causing damage to equipment then have at her. With the extreme swings in temperature (with Chinooks) you might start out the morning at -40C and end up the day at +20C. We get the pacific air coming over the Rockies and dropping down on us for a day or even a week.
    I will egg all winter and post some "white" pictures to warm some of the southern eggers hearts!
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    edited September 2014

I'm in Calgary myself, welcome to the board!  I Egg all winter long, including the Christmas Turkey!

My only regrets regarding winter are that I bought the BGE table (yes, the actual certified BGE 700% overpriced markup table**), and didn't do anything to finish it.... the table itself has not faired too well.  it's not terrible, but.... I will be replacing as soon as I finish my new brick patio.  Looking back - I should've done something to keep the table in better shape - some sealer or stain would probably help.   A metal/stone table would fair better in Calgary.

**Note:  SWMBO requested I buy the table rather than building one.... it's her fault.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Central Minnesota. No stranger to grilling at -20 or thereabouts. My theory is that cooling down from a cook, the inevitable condensation might find it's way into the ceramic and getting a subsequent fire going too hot/too fast might cause enough expansion that it could damage. I will usually "pre-heat" the egg by keeping a 100-watt light bulb on a pigtail going in through the chimney hole, and in fact have been known to let that go all winter. It prevents mold and might prevent damage from thermal shock.

As to "why?"...I can't justify a Thanksgiving turkey, a Christmas ham or turkey, or a New Years' Beef tenderloin in the oven. Getting the best out of those meats is the reason I bought the Big Green Egg in the first place.

I don't cover any of my Eggs. The table is 8 years old, made out of cedar and it also has held up just fine.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Regarding the freezing shut of the dome-I line the gasket with aluminum foil when shutting down the BGE and that prevents the gasket to gasket freeze.

and @BRush00-good luck selling that eggscuse:)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367

@lousubcap - Hey now - SWMBO told me I don't have to sell anything, and if you don't believe me that's your problem.... lol

[Insert clever signature line here]