Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chicken

Options
TN2TX
TN2TX Posts: 298
Just put my first spatchcock on the egg. Rubbed with EVOO, Dizzy Dust and set the dome for 350. Plan to go for 1 hour. Pretty small bird. I'll post the finished product.
Dallas, TX

Comments

• Dillonjm
    Options
    Good luck bro!
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • TN2TX
    Options
    Dark meat was perfect but the breast were a little dry. White registered 180 and dark was 190. It wasn't on there long so I don't know how it got that hot so quickly. Cooked at 375 for exactly 1 hour. Skin was nice and crunchy. 
    Dallas, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I like to pull mine when the breast reads 155. Why? Carry over cooking will bring it on up to 160-163 which is almost perfect. The bird sure looks excellent my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited September 2014
    Options

The answer is that the times given are a guideline - always cook to temperature.  I find for small chickens (4 pounders), 40 minutes is usually all it takes.  But again, use your thermapen to verify.  With larger chickens, I find the thighs are done at around 40 minutes, but the breast is done at @45-50.  I separate and remove the finished thighs from the egg while the breast is cooking. 

You are certainly on the right track, your bird looks great.  The same principal applies to almost every cook - use time as a guideline, but test with the thermapen (or other meat thermometer) to be sure.

Santa Paula, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Always to temp at 160 in breast. There is not but seconds (or so it seems) between 150 and 160. Also much easer if raised somewhat. The legs will want at 180. I also only cook at 400 direct and time is in the 40/45 min as I try for 3.5lb birds
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I start getting a breast temps around the 30 minute mark and check every 3-4 minutes after that until 160. Like others said, temp not time. I eat one a week now and love it.
    Jacksonville FL
  • TN2TX
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I threw on the veggies about 30 minutes into the cook and probably should have checked the bird then. Albertsons had a crazy sale and the full chicken was only $3, I think .88/pound. I might go get another one and throw it in the freezer. 
    Dallas, TX
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Get a few at that price. I thought I did good and grabbed four this weekend at $.99 you did great.
    Jacksonville FL