Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fatties?

Options
I haven't been on the forum for a while but it's good to be back. A discussion with my cousin about "fatties" prompted me to get back on here.

His description of a fattie is a roll of meat stuffed with delicious ingredients wrapped in bacony goodness. I don't know how long to cook these, at what temp, and what ingredients are tastiest.

Finally my wife does not find the name of these things appetizing do they happen to go by any other name?

Thanks all.

Pics of your cook would be great!

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I usually grab the Jimmy Dean's Hot sausage and will stuff it with some cheese and whatever else catches my eye.

Usually cook them at 250 degrees.  Only reason is if I'm cooking a pork butt or ribs for a low and slow, I will put a fattie on as well for a snack.  Cooking until the bacon crisps.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Hmm, for your wife's consideration, perhaps "stuffed pork sausage rolls." Fat has had a bad rap for a couple of generations, and it will take at least one for people not to freak about the word.

Most of the fatties I came across at first were much simpler. No stuffing, no bacon wrap. Just a pre-packaged pork sausage roll, usually a pound, coated in a BBQ rub. I tried a bunch of different brands, and Jimmy Dean's, which was the fattest to start out, turned out the best. The fat just dripped away, leaving moist, coarse ground sausage. Cheaper brands, particularly store brands ended up rubbery.

Soon after, I found recipes with fattiess stuffed w. veg. and cheese. Take the sausage, lay it on a sheet of plastic wrap, and flatten it enough to have a wrap around surface. Put fillings on it, and re-roll in the plastic wrap. Keep any cheese, melty ones mostly, away from the ends. Seal the ends tightly. The cheese will expand, get runny, and bubble out the ends, and fall all over the inside of the Egg.

Let the re-wrapped sausage roll sit in the fridge for a few hours to firm up.

I usually cook direct, raised grill, with dome around 400. Usually takes at least an hour, usually more like 1.5 hour, turning the roll a couple of times till the internal temp is 165.

Haven't tried bacon wrap. When those first came out, they were called "bacon explosions." More than I need or want. But your call. For me, cured pork wrapped around spiced pork doesn't produce the best of either.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    A bacon explosion is a form of fattie if you like that name better. 

To be honest I have tried this recipe and (dare I say) it is too much bacon.  I personally think it is better with something else in the middle like peppers and cheese. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Thanks folks. I may give it a try without the bacon although something about saying I made a bacon weave is really appealing to me.
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Here a photo for reference.
    Edina, MN

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks folks. I may give it a try without the bacon although something about saying I made a bacon weave is really appealing to me.
    Just to clarify- I like bacon weave.  I think the bacon that is inside the "bacon explosion" is a little much.  Keep the weave, put some other goodies inside IMO.  ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

You can make these as breakfast with scrambled eggs, bacon bits diced ham chopped onions or go savory with mushrooms, spinach and sundried tomatoes.

My favorite is pickled jalapenos, cream cheese, shredded cheddar and mozzarella.

Then roll it up on a bacon weave

Cook at 300-350 indirect till 160-165 internal temp.

I let them cool down in the fridge. Then slice then up once cold. Bag them and freeze. And when I want to have some, pull for the freezer, nuke them and insert in your favorite biscuit or dinner roll with a little hot sauce or honey.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Like @Hotch‌ said...indirect at 300-350 f until 160 f internal will be a good way to go.

Made a baconless Jennie O turkey sausage fatty last week. Rolled it with some blue cheese and diced jalapeños. I guess you can call it a "skinny" since it was low fat, low calorie and high protein. :)

Also made this bacon weaved venison fatty awhile back. It was rolled with a mixture of cheeses, including whipped cream cheese.

• Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Wood to create smoke or no?
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    I'm thinking of a quesadilla fattie with jalepinos, cheese, guac, beans and maybe rice
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    You can if you like. Just don't over do it.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX