Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Cook for a Friend's Gathering

A buddy said he's having a cookout/gathering Sunday night with some friends coming into town, so I jumped to offer to cook some meat for the occasion. I've done low and slows for my house gatherings, but this is my first for another's party. They have two young kids and some screwy work arrangements so I also wanted to help out. I'm nervous, but not scared. I decided to try another Sams Club brisket flat-I'm not finding packers locally so I've done a couple of these flats and they've turned out well. It's been some great practice for me, and of course there's room for improvement. I decided I'd overnight the flat along with a pork butt so we have plenty of food. I got a 9.5lb butt and the flat is a big one among those I've seen at Sams at 7.5lbs. No sign of any point on this one. Used Stubbs BBQ rub on the brisket - it's been very tasty on the two other cooks. A combination of BGE rub and a local family blend I won at a silent auction benefit (more granulated ingredients like brown sugar than the BGE) for the butt. Started the fire last night at 10pm with football on, and got it settled in with hickory chunks inside of 90min. Looked like a good fire - I've had some die on me, so I'm doing it differently and getting a big fire started and bringing it down to temp - this has worked well now twice in a row. Put the meat on at Midnight, and when I went to bed around 2:30 the temp was steady on the dome and climbing slowly IT on the brisket (bone-in butt is pretty easy to figure when it's ready). I woke up about 6am and my remote Remington therm (rebranded Maverick) said 166IT, and "LLL" on the grid. I checked the dome and it was fine around 270, so back to sleep. Rolled over at 8am and saw 160IT so I figured it's the stall no big deal. Rolled back over at 9am and it said 156IT so I got a little nervous but dome was still steady and smoke was coming out the top so I knew the fire was still rolling. Let it ride despite strong urges to mess with the setup. Trust the temps, I said. Now we're at 13 hours and 176IT on the probe and about 180IT with my Thermapen at the thickest part, but the thinnest end showed around 210. I'm still cooking to the probe location, so I might have part of it burnt to a crisp. Not serving until 7 or 8 so they're both going to be FTC'd for a few hours. Pics, because it is happening:
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• I swear I put this post into paragraphs while typing on my iPad. Any idea why it still bunches it together?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Dragonwmatches‌
    No idea as to the iPad question. But that's some fine looking grub you got on the egg!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I swear I put this post into paragraphs while typing on my iPad. Any idea why it still bunches it together?

Have the same issue on the iPad. It all runs together. No issue on the desktop. I've even tried putting 2 spaces between paragraphs, but it still ends up as a run on paragraph.
  • Huh. Oh well. Food was popular last night. Brisket was good though thin end was pretty dry - I made Franklin's sauce for those that wanted it and both the sauce and all the meat got rave reviews. 17lbs of meat along with others bringing food and I thought I'd take home some leftovers, but nope - some even took some home. So a rousing success!