Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepped and cooking

Options
GeorgeS
GeorgeS Posts: 955
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
So I have spent the day on the egg and am lovin it! Had some friends over for lunch which was pizza on the egg (sorry figured I have posted enough pie pictures) and they were awesome. Prepped some Pig Shots for tomorrow, made some Green Apple Slaw, made some North Carolina BBQ Sauce and have a 9lb butt on the egg now for an overnight cook. We have a pretty good sized group coming over tomorrow, should be about 10-12 adults and 4 kids. I plan to have that butt done around 2pm which will be FTC until about 5pm. I need to cook the app and also plan to do a Spatchcock for a few of the folks who don't do pulled pork. I almost didn't invite them but though that it might be rude to have the spouces and tell them to stay home LOL. Here are a few shots. Pig Shot are half with cream cheese and sharp cheddar with the second half having fresh jalapeño added in. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos We're settled in at 250 for the ride. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos No sleep for me tonight, will get a little nap tomorrow. I am cheating a bit as I moved one of my interior cameras outside to keep an eye on things. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I can't seem to rotate this back but I payed the butt in its wrapper on the cutting board for a bit and when I moved it the water mark looks like an anime face! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• GeorgeS
    Options
    My cooking buddy is staying with me for support!
    photo D709B476-9C25-4F46-B7C4-9C3FB597D66F_zpsph3mlbcs.jpg
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks like a great plan. FWIW, if you get the temp stable and you have it locked in at 250* for a couple hours without tweaking it, get some sleep. From experience with what you have planned tomorrow, you won't enjoy your evening without some sleep tonight.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tango2
    Tango2 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hey George, I see you're just down the road from me.  I'm in Gainesville doing a brisket tonight.  Happy cooking!
    NoVA
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @DMW I'm gonna try! I have a hard time sleeping with the egg lite!
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @Tango2‌ Hope you got a little sleep! I was up and down all night. I'm always nervous about the grill running without supervision. Are you going to Dizzy Fest in November?
  • GeorgeS
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Chugging right along. I'm at 185 IT. The egg held temp at 250 all night long with not one adjustment. Oddly enough as soon as the sun came up she dropped to 225. I made a very small adjustment and were right back at 250. I love this grill!!

photo E4D35804-E8E3-4B70-B371-5489FC8E121B_zps99ugrxx5.jpg
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    Just under 15 hours, 205. FTC until around 4 or so. Next up are the Pig Shot which will go on about 2:30 and then a spatch. I hope I have enough self control to stay out of the cooler until then!

photo E197A641-D5A2-493D-BE15-B9C99C81A296_zps96lgpdmr.jpg
  • Tango2
    Options
    @GeorgeS I got a little bit.  At about 5 I crashed but was up every hour until 8AM  Just before my alarm went off I heard my probe alarm beeping outside.  I went out to find that I was at 190, much earlier than I expected.  Egg was chugging along at 230° dome temp though.  My second probe died sometime since its last use, so I didn't have any way to monitor grate temps.

Brisket looks good and I'm trying to keep it FTC'd until it's eating time, but my temps are dropping.  Wonder if that's enough of an excuse to eat early???

Yours looks like it came out nicely.
    NoVA
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @Tango2‌ Thanks! Hopefully you can hold out until your ready to eat.
  • Tango2
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    @Tango2‌ Thanks! Hopefully you can hold out until your ready to eat.
    Hopefully I can hold out until everyone else is ready to eat.  I'm ready now ;)
    NoVA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Excellent bark on your Boston Butt. Great job! =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ Thank you sir!

Corn salad finished. It's grilled corn, sweet onion, cherry tomato, blue cheese crumble with a basil vinaigrette.
    photo D97AFFC6-4CBD-4477-93E1-47E3B81C8042_zpsa7do9eqk.jpg
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    All the pork turned out great too!

photo 4A9CA6EB-8BF2-427E-BD41-3BE0162BE46A_zps8jfdz4dr.jpg

photo 96D16F59-1CB4-4971-B86E-C1F16D4C90A3_zpsywjgt8kw.jpg
  • Dillonjm
    Options
    Northern Va representing! haha..(I live in Centreville)

Food looks great! That is a feast I would love to be invited to!
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @Dillonjm‌ Thank you very much! We should get all the NOVA people together at Dizzy Fest in November.
  • Dillonjm
    Options
    I am definitely planning on attending in November.. It will be my first one. I was thinking of going to the Turkey Cooking class too..
    Backyard BBQ Dude

Northern VA
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @Dillonjm‌ and @Tango2‌ We should all catch up at the Fest.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Great cook. I need to do some pig shots, they look great. Cool pup you got there too.
    Jacksonville FL
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @Dobie‌ thanks! Pig shots were awesome! She follows me wherever I go and loves my girls to death! She has been the best dog we have ever had!
  • Tango2
    Options
    @GeorgeS I'll have to check it out.  I don't think I was here last year when they did it.  Sounds like a good time though.
    NoVA
  • Dillonjm
    Options
    @GeorgeS Sounds like a plan!
    Backyard BBQ Dude

Northern VA