Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips on preparing brisket burnt ends.

Do you seperate the point after you pull the brisket prior to FTC? My plan is to pull the brisket when tender around 200 and then remove the point, cube it and return to the egg sauced with Bone Suckin Sauce for an hour or so while the flat is FTC. My concern is that I do not want to dry out the flat.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    No help here as I am in the "no burnt ends" camp-the point is the best part of the brisket. Regardless-enjoy the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I'm not a fan of burnt ends. But simply seperate the point and flat when the brisket is done. Cube and pan up the point with your sauce of choice and continue cooking until they reach your desired "texture". Just my opinion but this is a waste of the best part of the brisket. To each his own my friend. Good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Upon further review I am not going to mess with the burnt ends. Just slice and serve.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Wise decision my friend.^^^^^^^^^^^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dstearn
    I think I will put it on at 8:30 PM and then start drinking. That should calm me down a bit.
  • I find that 30 minutes at 400 degrees is plenty time to get the burnt ends cooked.  Trouble is that there never seems to be much to eat after you nibble a few away as "cook's treats" and so nothing worse than serving up great tasting burnts ends and everyone can have only 1 or 2.   Consider removing the point when you are ready to slice flat, Wrap and put away the point and prepare on another day, can be finished in the oven if need be..

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I prefer burnt ends and when the brisket is done I separate the point from the flat, put some more rub on the cut part of the point and put it on for an hour or so to get some bark. I then pull, let rest for about 15 minutes, cube into 1" pieces, place in foil or a foil pan with a little sauce of choice then back on for another 30 to 60 minutes. If I'm really hungry I skip the last part and just eat them. My wife prefers burnt ends to slices of the flat. I like it all. It's a little more work, but worth it to me.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • dstearn, how large is your brisket and when do you plan on serving it?
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @dstearn-My house adult beverage and BGE rules (time of day is not a consideration here) FYI; light the BGE and time for an adult beverage; food on-time for adult beverage then as enjoyed for the duration of the cook.  And you can imagine the morning after the over-night cook entertainment. :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dstearn
    dstearn, how large is your brisket and when do you plan on serving it?

It is 12.2 lbs trimmed by the butcher.