Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven Beef Bourguignon (sort of)

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
Took off work today so I took a recipe my wife got for the slow cooker and broke out the dutch oven and used the egg. Served with some sourdough and enjoyed.

Browning meat image

Vegetation image

Deliciousness image

It ain't no Julia Childs recipe but excellent anyways!
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Great meal!  I do not do it very often but when I do here is my go to recipe.

Beef, Roast, Top Round, Boeuf Bourguignon, Richard Fl.

This recipe was adapted for the BGE from 2  original recipes by Ina Garten and Georgia Downard from The Food Network.

INGREDIENTS:
    Marinade meat in the following
    3 cups dry red wine, I used Sterling Pinot Noir
    2 cups beef stock
    1/4 cup Brandy
    1 large onion, peeled and cut in 1 inch pieces
    2 carrots, peeled and cut in large chunks
    4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
    12 parsley leaves, chopped fine, fresh
    1 tsp dried thyme or fresh
    1 tsp dried rosemary, or fresh
    2 Tbs fresh ground black Pepper
    4 whole cloves
    4 allspice berries
    2 bay leaves
    3 lbs well-marbled chuck roast or beef top round, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1/2 lb slab bacon, I used buckboard garlic seasoned
    6 Tbs unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon softened unsalted butter
    1 Tbs olive oil
    1 Tbs tomato paste
    1 lb pearl onions, frozen
    pinch sugar
    1 lb white mushrooms, cleaned, use the smallest ones you can find
    1 Tbs flour
    1/4 cup very finely minced fresh parsley leaves (no stems)

PROCEDURE:

1. In a large bowl, combine the red wine, beef stock, brandy, onion (NOT PEARLS), carrots, garlic, parsley, thyme, rosemary, black pepper, cloves, allspice, and bay leaf. Stir well to blend. Add the beef, and stir. Refrigerate, covered, 6-8 hours or overnight.

2. The next day drain the beef, reserving the marinade and vegetables separately. Pat the beef dry with towels, and season it well with salt and pepper. Get BGE up to 275F..

3. Cut the bacon into 1/4-inch-thick pieces. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a Dutch Oven, I used a 9 quart size. Cook stirring often, until they are golden. With a slotted spoon transfer to paper towels to drain..

4. In the same Dutch oven, over high heat, brown the drained and dried-off beef in the remaining bacon fat, in batches so the meat browns evenly. When you are done, pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat. Return all of the browned beef to the pot.

5. Add the vegetable and herb mixture reserved from the marinade, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, for 5 minutes.

6. Add the reserved marinade liquid and tomato paste. Bring the liquid to a boil, and taste it for seasoning. I did the previous cooking on the stove as it was tooo cold to do on the BGE, but it would work just fine. Cook on the Large BGE for 2 hours at 225F-250F uncovered for 2 hours. Stir a few times and if it is boiling to fast lower heat. I did this uncovered, direct with charcoal up to top of fire box and the grate on the firering. Used a handful of apple and cherry chips. Added just before placing DO in grate.

Make the vegetable garnish:

1. Place the pearl onions in a skillet, cover them with water, add 1 tablespoon of butter, the sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer the onions over medium-high heat until they are almost tender. and raise heat to high, and reduce the cooking liquid to 2 tablespoons. Continue to cook the onions, shaking the pan over the heat, until the onions are golden brown and glazed. This and the mushrooms were done 1/2 hour before the finish and added into the pot 30 minutes before serving.

2. In another skillet set over medium-high heat, melt 3 tablespoons of butter; add the mushrooms. Add reserved bacon pieces and salt and pepper to taste. Cook mixture, tossing often, for 7 minutes, or until golden brown.

3. BLANK

4. BLANK

5. BLANK

6. BLANK

7. BLANK

8. BLANK

9. Add the cooked onions and mushrooms to the stew. Bring the liquid to a simmer, and add enough beurre manie, bit by bit, stirring constantly, to lightly thicken the sauce.

10. Divide the boeuf bourguignon among 6 dinner plates. Serve immediately. I served over spaetzle with garlic toast and a spinach, feta cheese salad with a raspberrty vinegarette. Rice or wide noodles would also work.

Servings: 6

Recipe Type: Beef, Main Dish

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2010/02/17*

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Thanks Richards. I'll try that version out some day.
    Dunedin, FL