Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig Questions

Options
I seemed to be taking over someone else's thread with my own questions so I'll start fresh and on topic.

I want to get a raised grid for my XL and that's all I want. The AR looks good I just can't tell what parts I need and what parts I don't based off of the website. I have a plate setter and drip pan so I don't want the spider.

Any input will help.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2014
    Options
    If you just want a simple setup for a raised grid on the XL get the woo2. This raises the factory grate almost to the felt line. http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-woo2/
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I would still consider getting the stone, you can use it for pizza and I think you'll find you never want to mess with the plate setter again except when you need 2 ceramic pieces for pizza!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    See I have the pizza stone, and plate setter. What I'm really looking for is a rack for more layers when I'm cooking indirect. So I think all I really need is the rack, but the rack appears to have up to five settings and different size grids are needed along with the bars to set them with. Just don't know how much or little I need to get started.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Oh, then you just need the rig and a 20" grid to put on top. Then you have your stock grid and a top grid. If you want one more, get the slide guides and an oval grid to go in between. The oval grid can be adjusted to fit at any of the heights.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Thank you very much,!
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I just noticed that one oval grid comes standard with the customer combo. I still think you should get the 20" top.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I just ordered the AR/Woo2 combo, with all oval grids to make rotating meat easier if needed.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    We'll we're talking raised grates...

If I have a LARGE BGE, is there any reason I can't just get the Woo2 and an extra grate?

Then I can do two layers of indirect cooks, right?
    Put the platesetter in, my grate on top of it, Woo2 on top of that, 2nd grate on top of the Woo2.

They don't list that as an option here, but since the L Woo2 has a flat bottom, I think it should work.  And then I only have to buy one thing, and the CI grate I planned on buying anyway.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • aznative75
    Options
    I just went through this whole ordeal myself.  First, I always consider flexibility when I make a purchase.  I *HATE* buying something and trying to be cheap about it, only to realize that it doesn't do everything I want and I end up wasting money to buy more or different items.  So, I put a ton of thought into what my goals are and spend the money to provide flexibility.

Getting the A/R is a no-brainer.  My conundrum was going low with spider and 13" platter so I can use 2 levels on the A/R or using the first level of the A/R for the platter and using an extender to get a second level.

I knew I wanted to do pizza, which meant getting the pie high in the dome.  If I use the spider, I lose precious space in the fire box and the great benefit of the spider is to wok or sear right at the fire box. With all the great meat the BGE can produce, I won't be wokking anytime soon. If I want to sear, I can leave my 20" grid on top of the fire ring (below the A/R, so the A/R sits on it) and just pull the A/R out quickly and throw the meat on the lower grid to do a sear.  The difference between the grid on the fire ring and the spider is a mere 1.5".  To me, not significant enough to warrant the spider.

For simple L&S, I have the platesetter that came with my BGE so I can use it legs up with the 20" grid and forgo the spider.

Here's what I just purchased hours ago. I threw in the sliding grids for ease and convenience. Again, for that one time you wish you had the sliders, might as well get them now.  Plus, if you bundle, you save about 30%.

16" Round Ceramic Stone - Large/XL

LXCS-16RND 1 $42.99 USD $42.99 USD
    Adjustable Rig Crossbar Replacement - Large

LAR-XBAR-REPL 1 $6.99 USD $6.99 USD
    Adjustable Rig Extender w Crossbar & 16" Sliding D Grid Combo - Large

(Rig Extender w Crossbar: Adj. Rig Extender w Crossbar - Large, Grid: 16 Inch Sliding D Grid - Large, 13 x 17 Oval Stainless Grid: Add and Save 10%)

LAR-EXTNDR DGRID-BO 1 $89.99 USD $89.99 USD
    Large Adjustable Rig R & B Oval Combo

(Platform: Adjustable Rig & Pair Crossbars, Grid: 13 x 17 Oval Stainless Grid, Indirect Piece: 13x17 inch Oval Ceramic Stone, Slide Guide: Large Slide Guide & Crossbar)

LAR-BGE-R&B-BO 1 $149.95 USD $149.95 USD
    Oval Foil Ring - Large

OVAL-FR 1 $17.99 USD $17.99 USD

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    The large set up does not translate to the XL. They are completely different designs.
  • aznative75
    Options

Nice catch @Thatgrimguy.  I completely missed the "XL"!

In that case, pretend you have Large or ignore my entire post!

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have the AR for my XL and my LARGE. On the large it is essential. On the XL it gets much less work. I think I could have done well with just the woo2. It raises the grid and holds my wok. Go with the Woo2 and save the extra bucks or buy some Dizzy Pig Spices.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    By the way, I just did a "mock-up" test and I can't use a Woo2 on top of a plate setter to get two layers of grilling.  No room to close the lid.  Back to the drawing board...   (or I need to decipher the AR code. ;)

It's not about being cheap but...damn, I just don't want to pay 1/3 of the cost of the grill to get two layers of indirect cooking!

Okay, maybe it is about being cheap.
    LBGE/Maryland