Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark Oak Availability?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I am going to be taking a road trip from Raleigh, NC back to Denver.  I will be driving mostly along I-40 and I-70.  Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up some Ozark Oak or Rockwood along the way?  I will be driving a moving truck with other people so driving very far off of the route probably won't happen.  Thanks for your help.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2014
    Options
    if your going thru Springfield Mo by any chance you can pick up Ozark Oak there. Think when i was there in May it was around 6 bucks a bag

Yelleville Ar is where the plant is so if your going thru Ar im sure you can find it there

I didnt see your gonna be on I 70 .  you should go thru SPFD anyway and check out Bass Pro :)  lol
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I-40...conway ak. Harp's market. Not far off the interstate and has a huge parking lot. If I'm available I'll meet you in Lebanon Tn off 40. About 30 minutes from the house.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited August 2014
    Options
    If you travel on I-70 in Missouri then about midway across between St Louis and KC you'll come up to Kingdom City - take exit 148 which is Route 54 North to Mexico, Mo. Hickman's IGA store there carries OO. Address is 500 W Jackson ph 573-581-5520. You might want to call ahead to be sure they have enough in stock.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    Options
    If you're going through St Louis. . That's were Rockwood is. The Ozark Oak at harps is around $5.50 for 10 lbs.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Wish I could get it down here locally for those prices. $10.95 a bag from Firecraft and the outside of the bags are covered in lump dust. I'm done with Firecraft. I look like I work in a coal mine every time I handle a bag from them.
    Jacksonville FL
  • henapple
    Options
    That's the first complaint I've heard about them. Did you pursue it with firecraft?
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Huh must not like you. Just got my order from fire craft yesterday. 20 bags of Ozark oak hold the dust
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    Options
    Huh must not like you. Just got my order from fire craft yesterday. 20 bags of Ozark oak hold the dust

As a long hauler doesn't any of your trips take you through AR where you could grab a few pallets to feed your large family of eggs?
  • Dobie
    Options
    This is my second order first order had busted bags of Rockwood with chips and dust everywhere, The bags of Rockwood were busted up inside pretty good didn't want anymore burned okay but small pieces definitely busted up. Decided to give them another chance order 10 bags of Ozark Oak came in two shipments one small box with two bags that were clean one big box with eight bags and dust everywhere bags were not broken I don't know if it's a warehouse thing and they sprinkle some extra dust in there for the hell of it
    Jacksonville FL
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @RRP I never get to AR I go from cedar rapids iowa to Spartanburg south Carolina every week with stops in between. I set the cruise and let her fly....left lane freight train..
    chooo....chooo
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    My last order from Firecraft, 5 bags of Rockwood, came with one bag that was completely torn in half, and another in a different box that had a huge rip in the side. Outside shipping boxes looked fine....clean and intact. Inside, charcoal and dust all over the place. Not that big a deal for me, since I store all my charcoal in Rubbermaid trash cans.
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    My resent order from firecraft I received to bags of rockwood and one had a big hole in it and stuff every where. I reported it and they sent me another bags straight away. So I'm happy with that.but the box did not really look damaged at least not enough for the size hole. Maybe the have a disgruntled employee on there hands. They will get my next order for the stepping up though.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • RRP
    Options
    Roadpuke0 said:
    Maybe the have a disgruntled employee on there hands.

reminds me of the payment from one of my customers who lived in CA. He owed me $11 and the day after I shipped his gasket my door bell rang and a FedEx driver handed me an envelope. Inside was the guy's $11 check! Cost of delivery? $59 He fired the gal that very afternoon after I called him.
  • henapple
    Options
    I've always bought my lump in Arkansas or St Louis. It still travels in a trailer bouncing all over. Still, I don't have those problems. Guess I'm lucky. I'm sure the trucking companies are not gentle.
  • Dobie
    Options
    Its just aggravating. Like others said the outside boxes are in decent condition but inside things are either busted or covered in dust. Im probably just expecting too much for mail order lump. Need to explore more local options.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    henapple said:

I've always bought my lump in Arkansas or St Louis. It still travels in a trailer bouncing all over. Still, I don't have those problems. Guess I'm lucky. I'm sure the trucking companies are not gentle.

How often do you pass through my way? Little Rock

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    Options
    henapple said:

Like I said in another reply about this subject my FedEx driver will drop kick anything he can to save walking 3 feet from his truck! I would never order lump that that loser would have to deliver! Besides dumping it on my drive I bet he would back over it and then blame Firecraft!
  • Dobie
    Options
    I don't blame either manufacturer RW or OO, its either Firecraft or Fedex. Either way I will look for other local options. Im just jealous of you guys with local access and low prices on premium lump.
    Jacksonville FL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I don't blame either manufacturer RW or OO, its either Firecraft or Fedex. Either way I will look for other local options. Im just jealous of you guys with local access and low prices on premium lump.

Thanks, we lose the quality control over it the second the pallet leaves our dock.

You can buy it locally though if you're in Jacksonville.  Any of the Hagen Ace Hardware stores should have it in stock.  It looks like the Proctor Ace Hardware stores have order some as well.  Any other Ace store can order it from their warehouse using SKU 8400772 and they'll have it in a few days.. 

• Dobie
    Options
    @stlcharcoal‌ Im in the transportation biz and know first hand how the delivery chain can make or break the end result. Rockwoods great rep is well deserved and worth seeking out a good supply chain. Im just curious does RW have a MSRP or it it totally up to retailers?
    Jacksonville FL
  • henapple
    Options

henapple said:

How often do you pass through my way? Little Rock
    It varies. ..probably going to tx soon.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    I'm guessing if the outside of the box is OK then it was packaged that way. Guess some idiot driving the forklift put a hole in the bag but why not blame the truck driver or the shipper.
    Personally I think you are being to picky about dust. I have hauled Kingsfordbefore and yes Iit is dusty due to the fact of what it is.
    Next time I get a stake and get it home it better not have blood in the package or I'm going to start to point fingers and never b u y it again

Clinton, Iowa
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Dobie said:
    @stlcharcoal‌ Im in the transportation biz and know first hand how the delivery chain can make or break the end result. Rockwoods great rep is well deserved and worth seeking out a good supply chain. Im just curious does RW have a MSRP or it it totally up to retailers?

I'm not sure if that damage is occurring on the freight to the distributor or where.  Either way, we don't hear much of it.  Any time a dealer/distributor gets a damage pallet from shipping, we file the claims......and that's maybe a once a month thing with the 125+ stores that carry Rockwood.  If it's just 1-2 bags, they usually goes home with the store owner or gets used in their demo grills.

We do have MSRP in STL--but outside of STL, it's up to that market.  The shipping cost is a big factor in that, as is demand and other product in that city.  Remember, Missouri is the charcoal capital of the US, so try not to get too jealous of what people pay up here.  The guys from FL/GA probably laugh at what we pay for peaches and OJ.

• henapple
    Options

I'm guessing if the outside of the box is OK then it was packaged that way. Guess some idiot driving the forklift put a hole in the bag but why not blame the truck driver or the shipper.
    Personally I think you are being to picky about dust. I have hauled Kingsfordbefore and yes Iit is dusty due to the fact of what it is.
    Next time I get a stake and get it home it better not have blood in the package or I'm going to start to point fingers and never b u y it again

Oh snap. ..
  • Dobie
    Options
    @badinfluence I am picky. And if the dust was IN the bag like your blood in the steak package reference all would be good. Try splattering some steak blood on the rest of your groceries since you're not picky. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @dobie I think you are picky to say the least. I have never been to fire craft but have hauled charcoal before and it's a messy process.

heck even if the bags are not dusty just cleaning out my eggs I look like I just worked a 8 hour shift in a coal mine

Clinton, Iowa
  • Dobie
    Options
    @badinfluence handling a products unopened container should not get product all over you and  your reference to cleaning the ash out of an egg isn't what were talking about here.
    I doubt seriously anyone here goes to the store and buys beer with sticky beer residue all over it.
    Jacksonville FL
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @dobie I'm not here to argue about this with you so I'm just gonna say I'm right and you are wrong. Don't want the dust use a gasser.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Dobie
    Options
    @dobie I'm not here to argue about this with you so I'm just gonna say I'm right and you are wrong. Don't want the dust use a gasser.
      You're a funny guy, dont you have an inflateable to blow up or something?
    Jacksonville FL
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Yeah I am funny ain't I :D and at least my inflatable is of Mr egghead....and yours is what again?

And the original question was where he could get Ozark oak.

Get it from fire craft unless you mind getting dusty.

Clinton, Iowa