Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - don't buy cheap grill brushes...

Options
My afternoon yesterday was spent dealing with this perforation of the small intestine. Initial thought from the CT scan was that it was a fishbone (the patient is a big outdoor grill fanatic) but in surgery I found that it was a steel bristle that had come loose from her grill brush, got into her food and she swallowed it. Perforated the last part of the duodenum and caused a pretty good sized abscess. The operation took a couple of hours. She's going to be here awhile recovering. Nasty business.

Moral  of the story....don't buy cheap stainless steel grill brushes and wipe the grill down after you brush it.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options

Welcome and thanks for the reminder.  Periodically this topic arises but it has been a while.  First time I have seen an "action shot" so that adds to the impact.  With all the NEO's it is a good reminder to use an alternative to the wire brush. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Yikes!!! I hope she makes a full recovery. I think we all become a bit complacent about things like this from time to time. A reminder is good. Thank you!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Good advice on wiping the grill down after using any of these brushes .. even the good kind.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Good advice thanks. Can anyone suggest a good alternative to grill brushes?  Anyone have any experience with a grill stone?

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I am soo glad you posted this. I was @ Walmart a couple days ago, they had their grill brushes on sale for a dollar each. I almost bought a bunch. 

I'm glad I didn't.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Love my wadded up aluminum foil!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Great info, thanks!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I hear you and I heed the warning...OTOH I have been using one of these high quality wire brushes for years- in fact I am only now on to my second one in 14 years.image 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Metalmaker
    Options
    I have found wire bristles on the grate even after brushing with a "good" grill brush. Now I use a Grill Wizard.
    Cookin' outside in central Minnesota
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Thanks for the post, I'll be doing things differently from now on.
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    Use an onion!
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    First hand knowledge, I pulled a piece of wire from my pops gum after an egg cook.
    Lucky it could have been worse, or one of my little ones.
    Man was I squeamish pulling that thing.out.
    Seattle, WA
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I've heard many terrible stories like this, which is why I only use a stone. Glad everything ended up ok for them.
    Aurora,OH
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    just one more reason not to clean the grill
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

AMEN bro... =))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I don't think my grill brush is a cheap one. But it still looses some of it's wires.
    I hate to get rid of it, my daughter was so proud to give it to me for father's day.
    But better safe then sorry.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options

Yep. The only thing I use is the end of my grid lifter.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    A painters "5 in 1" tool works as a fantastic grate cleaner. 

http://www.lowes.com/pd_350004-995-3490189C_0__?productId=3364384
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I wouldn't even use an "expensive" grill brush, everything breaks eventually.

But here's a question: what about a brass bristle brush?  Would brass dissolve in gastric juices, or stay whole like stainless?  Any biochemists here?   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Clean?
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Do NOT buy the BGE grill brush. Spend less on Steel Wool. 

The BGE one is worthless. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    +5 on the aluminum foil. If you clean when the grill is hot, easy peasy. Why take the chance?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I use one very similar to RRP. It has never lost a bristle but I do replace every couple of years as they can get kind of nasty even with cleaning in soap and water.  Mine has stainless bristles that are about 2/3 the thickness of a pin used for sewing. I have not even seen one get bent let alone being close to breaking off.  I certainly can understand the fine wire ones being a problem though.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I want one like @Mickey uses. Combination grid lifter and grid scraper. Where did you get that one @Mickey? I know you've shared your source in the past but I can't remember.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    I want one like @Mickey uses. Combination grid lifter and grid scraper. Where did you get that one @Mickey? I know you've shared your source in the past but I can't remember.

Send LawnRanger a note. gridlifter@gmail.com It's called a Gridlifter and he makes them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Do NOT buy the BGE grill brush. Spend less on Steel Wool. 

The BGE one is worthless. 

cannot disagree more. I love mine. Used to use the bristle kind made by weber, but switched to the new Brillo pad type of BGE brush and haven't looked back. The loose bristles are why BGE no longer offers a bristle type grid cleaner. To each there own I guess.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I generally go over mine with the end of a stick to knock off the crusty bits, put the grill in a sink with water and soap and let it soak, and then wipe with plastic scrubber.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Bye bye grill brush . . . . 
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Anybody ever put their grill in their home oven and turn it onto "self-clean"? Or do a long hot Egg burn with the grill in place?

I tried using a pumice rock "griddle cleaner" for awhile but found that it left a kind of funky residue on the grill. Currently, I mostly use a scotchbrite griddle cleaner