Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Shoulder & Skewers?

Options
dgroce10
dgroce10 Posts: 17
Hey everyone, I made the unfortunate mistake of buying boneless pork shoulders at Costco today. I am bringing the BGE up to temp now, and I have used kabob skewers to keep the butts together as pictured.

Can anyone let me know if this will get the job done? Thanks!!

Trying to cook up some pork for a bachelor party this weekend.
Daniel
Smyrna, GA | LBGE owner since Jan. 2014

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I can't say for absolute certain but the skewers should work just fine. For future references when you want to hold meat together when cooking jet net is hard to beat.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    You don't really "need" anything to hold them together. I have done them several times. Sometimes I tie them and inject... sometimes I just rub 'em and put 'em on. If they open up a little bit, you just get a little more bark. I mean, who doesn't like bark right?

I was afraid of how they would turn out if I didn't tie them. The last time I made two butts, I was a few beers deep and too lazy to tie. Could be a little bit of how that low-n-slow turned Turbo... they were done in time for breakfast. 
    :P
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    minniemoh. I just rub it and fold the meat under so the CI and the weight of the shoulder holds it in place. I've never had complaint because it all gets pulled after a rests. Family can't tell a difference in taste between bone in and no bone.