Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chile out tonight! :)

Options
First batch of my next 20 pounds. Thanks to you all for all of the tips. :)
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I have 2# left to roast in the frig. Enjoy @PNWFoodie‌ B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I like what I'm seeing sister!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    So cool.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Round one is over. On to round two. (Jiminy Christmas Grandpappy gets hot with his lid open!)
    Sandy
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    Round two is in the history books. Lessons learned: When you realize you are probably cooking the heck out of your dome themo, don't just try to grab it out. 1: There's a doo-hicky on the inside that will make you chip your outer ceramic when you do. 2: When you try to pick said dome thermo up of the ground, you will burn the heck out of your index finger. Those things hold grudges.

Grand-pappy is on round three and I think he is winning. I have never actually cooked with the lid open and I can't believe the red-hot lava that is inside. Insane. That is all for now...must go back to the ring. :)
    Sandy
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    Intermission: Oh, dear gracious, couldn't one of you all who know what you are doing told me to close the ever-lovin' lid while I was roasting? lol! Closed on this last batch and not only do I not need to stand over it, Grand-pappy is being far more polite and roasting evenly. AND I haven't lost any more arm hair (jury is still out on whether that is plus or a minus...will have to ask the BF ;) ). I'm looking forward to Round Four (hopefully the last round of the evening). I am SO going to prevail! :)
    Sandy
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wait, you've been doing this with the dome wide open? Wow, color me impressed. If the dome is open during a cook here, the bottom vent is either closed or almost closed.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    @DMW Yep, dome wide open and living on the wild side. I figured to be "roasted" they had to be flame-kissed...just didn't realize the rest of my body would be, too. :)
    Round Three is now in the record books, and for those of you keeping score, best round yet. Round four (and final for the night, before I go on to make four different sauces for the pulled pork at tomorrow's pre-open house bbq) is on the grill, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to win this one.)

I'm thinking I'm not going to skin these, as I read that the skin actually protects them even more while frozen....thoughts?

Your slightly charred, largely chargrinned, pepper-stinkin' friend,

Sandy
    Sandy
  • stemc33
    Options
    That pic of just the coals looks like red-hot lava. It reminds me of my younger years working at a forging company pulling hot steel out of a furnace. Those peppers must've been done in seconds at that temp.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌, What was the temp of the dome when you pulled the thermo? Is your top gasket still intact?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • PNWFoodie
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @stemc33‌ My top gasket is still fine, because I, in my "duh, I know nothing" state was cooking with the dome open. It's funny now that I realize my mistake, but MAN was it hot cookin those suckers at first! lol.
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    Looks like a winner to me sister. For what it's worth there are some things that I cook with the dome open. I don't post pics of it because I catch a lot of grief for doing it. But that being said there are times that I feel a open dome is very beneficial. You are not alone sister.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PNWFoodie
    Options
    What roasted chiles should probably look like, if you're not masochistic...
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    Looks excellent from where I'm sitting!

Status- Standing by.

• PNWFoodie
    Options
    For those who are of my age group and/or musical style:

TIN ROOF! ROASTED! :)
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    I like it sister!!

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    Options
    B-52's
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    @stemc33‌ I knew there was a reason I liked you. :)
    Sandy
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    @SGH I am exhausted tonight, and still have long to go before I sleep. Please know that I will respond to your many kind comments tomorrow (well, maybe not tomorrow, because I work tomorrow and then tomorrow night is Open House)....but at least by Thursday. I appreciate all your comments and will respond to them in turn. Thank you again for the kind words.
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    You are more than welcome sister.

Status- Standing by.