Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fire ring cracked

Options
And.... my fire ring cracked. 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Take pics. Be sure to inspect the fire box, dome and base etc. Take it up w/ your dealer and you should have no issue getting a warranty replacement.
    FWIW...my fire box, fire ring and fire grate all cracked and I received a warranty replacement for all 3 items but, I'm still using the cracked items until they are simply not usable. New items are safely boxed up.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If it is still under warranty and assuming it was purchased from an authorized dealer, visit them with a photo and ask for a replacement. Keep the replacement until actually needed. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Not too bad I hope. I cooked on a cracked one for a while. Warranty will replace it and I'd use the old one and save the new one for down the road.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    henapple said:
    Not too bad I hope. I cooked on a cracked one for a while. Warranty will replace it and I'd use the old one and save the new one for down the road.
    I guess I don't understand the logic.  Why get a warranty replacement and not use it.  if the warranty replacement cracks, then you get another warranty replacement.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    If it's still functional, have the backup ready for when it's no longer functional.... Sounds logical to me!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Zmokin said:

henapple said:

I guess I don't understand the logic.  Why get a warranty replacement and not use it.  if the warranty replacement cracks, then you get another warranty replacement.

Just less hassle I guess. I could have cook on my cracked fire ring and box forever but my dealer took my replacements. The regional office had to see them to approve their reimbursement.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    My bowl on the mini is cracked, I am going to hold off on reporting not worth the hassle yet.
    Seattle, WA
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I'll take a pic back to Ace.  I'm still using the cracked one, as the PS seems to be resting comfortably on it.  I think I'll get the replacement and use the cracked one until it's unusable, as suggested.  Thanks all.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited August 2014
    Options

If it is still under warranty and assuming it was purchased from an authorized dealer, visit them with a photo and ask for a replacement. Keep the replacement until actually needed. 

Unless your dealer insist that you bring him the cracked pieces. My bge Ace dealer would not replace my cracked firebox until I brought in the cracked pieces and showed him my reciept. Even though he knew I had bought two bge from his Ace store.
    I would have continued to use the cracked firebox had he let me keep it. It fit together like a three piece puzzle.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I hope I don't still need the receipt... that would suck.  I'm an Ace member, they know I bought it there. 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Yet another reason to have multiple eggs..justsayin
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    So My Ace store said to send a picture to the BGE website, and they would in turn send me a letter saying the fire ring is to be replaced under warranty.  Doesn't sound like the experience others have had, but I guess if that's what they tell me.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    So My Ace store said to send a picture to the BGE website, and they would in turn send me a letter saying the fire ring is to be replaced under warranty.  Doesn't sound like the experience others have had, but I guess if that's what they tell me.
    Interpretations seem to differ from dealer to dealer. My dealer is a no hassle dealer and you walk in with a problem and walk out with a replacement for most anything. They have quite the parts inventory. All the more reason to ask around about a dealer's reputation.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Same thing my Ace store told me. I had to trade my broken one for the replacement.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

the BGE website doesn't say anything about sending a picture to BGE, instead it says to contact the store from whence your egg was prushased.  Well, after calling back and talking ot the mgr, he said he'll get a ring in, and to bring in my ring and he'll replace it.  Not a knock on the egg, but this local Ace isn't impressing me with their service.

• Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    Luckily my wife bought mine at an actual BGE store thats pretty close to her work. I am hoping that if something happens to mine (God forbid), They don't treat me like that.. It's only a month old, so nothing better happen to it.. haha
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    edited September 2014
    Options
    My experience with my local Ace store was their first warranty claim. They weren't sure how to go about it. No biggie, it got replaced.
    I could've went to a dealer that sells more, but they are 25 miles away and charge $150 more for their eggs.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset