Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket done way to early .. ?

Options
pantsypants
pantsypants Posts: 1,191
So i have this 15lb packer that I put on last night around 8 or 9 hoping to have it done late afternoon ... It has been cooking all night at 225 .

So when i got up to check the IT this am its reading 185 and actually feels like it will be done within the hour.

So we are eating at 7 this eve so I know that it will be FTC'd for a super long time ....
anything i should do different or any advice for this type of situatioin ?

Its so weird , the brisket i cooked last week that was way smaller took about 16 hours ..
Toronto

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Pre-heat the cooler with hot water. Keep a temp probe in the brisket to monitor temp during FTC.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pantsypants
    Options
    what am i looking for to monitor ?
    Also I will pull the brisket at 190 (ish ) just so it can cook a bit in the ftc .
    Toronto
  • DMW
    Options
    You don't want the temp to hang out below 140* for an extended period. I've never held something that long in a cooler before. I would prob do FTO and keep the oven as low as it goes.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pantsypants
    edited August 2014
    Options
    my oven goes to 170 .
    Maybe i should pull it now and let it hang there for 5 hours or so then FTC it ?

thoughts ?

never mind i am sure it would dry out

Toronto
  • DMW
    Options
    If I used the oven I wouldn't bother with the cooler at all. I would keep a temp probe in the oven to monitor oven temp. From what I hear, 150* is ideal holding temp. So maybe cycle oven off/on?

No need to FTC if you have it wrapped in foil and towel in oven. I would finish it in the egg all the way. 170* will not cook the brisket above 170*.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• pantsypants
    Options
    I just pulled it and will FTC it and hope for the best ??

I am thinking the 170 would dry it out
    Toronto
  • pantsypants
    Options
    ok so i can stabalize the egg with a digi q to stay at 150 .

Do i wrap it in foil ? while its in there ?

Toronto
  • DMW
    Options
    I would wrap it. But I wouldn't ramp down the temp until the texture is where you want it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• pantsypants
    Options
    cool thanks !!
    i pulled it . Not sure what the IT was but i gave it some room to cook still .
    It may have been about 186 or so  but it felt really good .

Its so weird that it took so little time to cook

Toronto
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Also thanks @DMW for the help .
    Toronto
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I had this exact same issue and I held it in an oven bag (I was out of foil).  It was not dry, but it continued cooking and turned to pot roast.  After the fact I checked my oven and set to 170 the temp would swing from 170 to 185 or so.  The oven bag might have contributed to my issue because it was really "steaming" the meat. 

I don't think you have to worry about it drying out in the oven as long as it is wrapped in foil, but it may continue cooking more than you want.  If you decide to use the oven and have time I would monitor the temp with a maverick or similar.  You may consider manually cycling the oven a few times.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pantsypants
    Options
    Thanks  @smokeypitt I have it wrapped and in a cooler and towels right now . I am going to stabilze the egg to 150 ( with temp controller ) and leave it in there and hope for the best .

I will keep a probe in the meat to monitor .
    thanks !
    I did pull it early knowing that it would still cook about 10 or so degrees .......
    Toronto
  • pantsypants
    Options
    I pulled the brisket off at 7 am . Served it at 7:30 this eve and it was one of the best briskest I have ever cooked . For the 12 hours it was off I wrapped it and had the egg stable at 150 . At 4 o'clock I added liquid to the brisket an wrapped it again and brought the egg up to 190 for about and hour and then ftc'd it for the last 2 hours. The brisket was one of the best I ever had .. It was a miracle . My dinner guest loved it . Special thanks to @dmw and @SmokeyPitt‌ for the advice
    Toronto
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    =D> =D> =D>

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Glad to hear it worked out.  That's great that you were able to keep the egg stable at 150.  I might have to try that method next time.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    Options
    Awesome!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    You know, I'm beginning to suspect this didn't actually happen.  :-S
    I keep looking, but no pics. :D

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• pantsypants
    Options
    Oh man ,
    It was such a crazy process with the cook and the travelling of the brisket that I totally forgot to take pics if the finished product ...
    But this is all I got image
    Toronto