Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about smoke…...

Options
Tomorrow I'll be taking on my first "big" cook on my XL for my Grandmother in law's 90th bday. Planning on doing about 30 pounds of pulled pork and got a few questions…..

1. Would 30#'s be sufficient for about 50 people? More, less? They will be served on King Hawaiian rolls unless they don't want it like that. There will also be chicken besides all the other sides like coleslaw, etc.

2. How do you all start the smoke process? Do you add the chunks as soon as the fire is lit or wait until it gets close to desired temp? Reason I'm asking is I haven't really been getting a smoke ring. Not that I really care. Just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

3. I have the CGS rig. Do I need to move the butts from top to bottom and vice versa during this process?

TIA

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I would say 30# is plenty for 50 people, especially with chicken and other sides.  I can feed 12 hungry guys from an 8 pounder.

I have done 4 butts at once on a 2 level cook, I never rotated them.  I do try to keep a little space between them so everything gets smoked.  When you get close to the finish, probe and tug on the bone to determine when it is done,  Plan to finish well ahead of serving time so you can foil/towel/cooler until mealtime.  When I have done multiples, I have pulled all at once and FTC.  Never any issues.

You did not say whether you are doing a low and slow, or a turbo cook.  Mix some wood with the lump as you fill the firebox, have it spread throughout.  You want chunks, not chips for this.  Have the PS or stone in place as the fire heats up, when the smoke is no longer acrid and white, put the meat on, close the lid and be patient.  I sometimes add a couple of chunks at this point, though I am not sure there is a good reason.  I do need to pull the PS or stone to do it, but sometimes I do.

I don't have an AR, so here is my 4 butt setup
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I agree with cookinbob regarding 30 pounds being plenty. I normally figure .5# per person and I always have leftovers.

Regarding smoking what I do is soak the wood chunks and mix 2-3 in with the lump. I also soak woodchips and sprinkle them all over the top of the lump after the fire is going pretty well. This ensures that it's smoking well from the beginning.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    From my corner of the world, plan on a before cook weight of 1/3 to 1/2 pound per person, with lots of sides and another choice of protein, closer to the 1/3rd. 
    Lump in the egg is not like briquettes in a kettle. Mix your smoke wood through the lump, right from the bottom up. Light from the top towards the front, let the fire follow the air down through the fuel. This provides smoke throughout the cook. You might get some smoke initially that looks too thick - as soon as the egg stabilizes, the smoke is often invisible - but it is there. 
    Smoke ring happens below about 140ºF so once the meat hits that, the ring formation will stop - flavour keeps building but ring will not form. The colder the meat when it hits the grid, the better the ring will be. 

IDK about the CGS rig, I do rotate butts if I'm cooking on two levels. Not sure I need to. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I'm going to try to do this low and slow, but that will depend on work. If I'm able to get them on around 9 or 10PM, then it will be low and slow.

These are Costco boneless butts so there is no bone. It is a PITA to tie them up though. Going to try a bone in next time from restaurant depot.

As of right now the 4 seasoned butts have been sitting in the fridge all night and will not go on till 9 or 10 tonight.

Thanks for the advice. I've never mixed the wood with the charcoal. Only dropped them in on the top.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    These are Costco boneless butts so there is no bone. It is a PITA to tie them up though. Going to try a bone in next time from restaurant depot.

I don't bother to tie them up.  I squish the thin end together as I place it on the grill.  Close enough for pulled pork.  The thin end finishes 5* - 10* hotter than the thicker end, but still tastes fine, especially since I mix everything to ensure the bark is throughout the serving container.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I like the boneless butts since I rub on the seasoning inside AND outside.  :)

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Put them on around 8:30pm at 240*. Its 5:30am, daughter just text me they are at 167*.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    You will lose about 40% of the weight due to fat loss. The 30 pounds should be plenty though.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.