Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini overload

Options
Put s 6# picnic shoulder on the mini at 7 am.Going to let her smoke all day at about 250.I filled up to platesetter with lump how long will it go.

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Sweet! What kind of lump are you using? If you're using RO I would guess about 6-7 hrs. Something dense like Wicked Good or Fogo, I'd say about 10 hrs at 250.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Does the lid even shut?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Basherer
    Options
    Ive done that with my mini many times.  The biggest I've gotten in there was an alb pork butt, the lid did close, but the temp probe jabbed the meat.  :D 

Im not sure how many long cooks you have done with your mini, but expect to refill the charcoal after about 6 hours. Ive noticed that after several hours once the temp starts to drop and opening the vents doesn't bring the temp back up, all the charcoal in the middle was gone and the sides were barely burning.
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Yes it will shut. Thanks everyone. I'm using bge lump.I won a bag
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Basherer said:
    Ive done that with my mini many times.  The biggest I've gotten in there was an alb pork butt, the lid did close, but the temp probe jabbed the meat.  :D 

very simple solution is to remove that blasted spring inside the dome that is gripping the thermometer, turn around and throw said spring in the trash and from then on just pull out the thermometer, close dome, re-insert thermometer. You don't need that spring - gravity will keep it in the dome.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.