Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yuengling Bar-b-q Sauce

Has anyone tried any of their sauces? Saw it at the store the other day and it looks rich and thick. Might try it out with some ribs this weekend

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    I bought this over the weekend, pretty sure I grabbed the Black and Tan version.  Didn't care for it much, reminded me of a KC Masterpiece type sauce.  Thick for sure... The flavor of beer is there, but wasn't overly impressed.

You should try it out, perhaps you'll like it... If you do, report back.

Skip
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Haven't tried it yet, but I might. I'd recommend the Jack Daniel's bag marinades. They turn boring chicken breasts into a thing of beauty!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• I will def try the JD bag whenever I do some chicken. Anybody want to recommend a bbq sauce for the ribs? Im smoking three st louis style for a draft party this weekend. I usually go with sweet baby rays and I like sticky finger.
  • this is a recent smoke I did. 3-2-1 method. No leftovers!!
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Rufus Teague has become one of my favorites for pork or chicken, but I serve sauce on the side.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2014
    If you want to try something different Bone Suckin Sauce is good.  It is a thinner sauce and has a strong allspice flavor.  It isn't always easy to find and it is a little pricey.  They usually carry it at Cracker Barrel.  

People always rave about Blues Hog sauce but I think you have to order it online. 

I tried a bottle of Guy Fieri Kansas City sauce once.  It was actually really good.  It was the only sauce I could find in Walmart that didn't have high fructose corn syrup.   

Stubbs sauces are also really good.  The standard stubs is not very sweet at all.  Depending on the flavor you are going for you may want to add some sweetness either to the sauce or during the foil stage you can add brown sugar/honey to the packets.  Stubbs does have some sweet varieties of well that you could go with, but the regular stubs is not sweet at all. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241

If you want to try something different Bone Suckin Sauce is good.  It is a thinner sauce and has a strong allspice flavor.  It isn't always easy to find and it is a little pricey.  They usually carry it at Cracker Barrel.  

People always rave about Blues Hog sauce but I think you have to order it online. 

I tried a bottle of Guy Fieri Kansas City sauce once.  It was actually really good.  It was the only sauce I could find in Walmart that didn't have high fructose corn syrup.   

Stubbs sauces are also really good.  The standard stubs is not very sweet at all.  Depending on the flavor you are going for you may want to add some sweetness either to the sauce or during the foil stage you can add brown sugar/honey to the packets.  Stubbs does have some sweet varieties of well that you could go with, but the regular stubs is not sweet at all. 

I also agree, bone sucking sauce is great.its easy fore to find down south.
  • SmokeyPitt
    Just one more (can you tell I love BBQ sauce??)

If you have 2 hours to kill and you really want to blow them away, make this:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I've used John Boy and Billy's Grillin Sauce for lots of stuff. It's pretty awesome!
    LBGE  Sanibel, FL
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Try this...Sweet, but with heat up front and on the back end...Rough estimates on measurements, season to your liking...

SBR 1/2 C
    Honey 1/4 C

Add to taste....
    Pepper 
    Sriracha Sauce 2 tsp

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

Just one more (can you tell I love BBQ sauce??)

If you have 2 hours to kill and you really want to blow them away, make this:

I think @smokeypitt and I have the same taste.  The above recipe is great (I add extra bourbon and try different kinds of preserves).  Also a fan of Bone Suckin' and Stubbs spicy.
    NOLA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

It isn't great, but I think it is a step up from the general supermarket brands. 

One of the best I've found (and it is in supermarkets around here - your area may be different) is Pork Barrel BBQ Sauce (http://porkbarrelbbq.com/).  Cook's Illustrated just named it their taste test winner.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    No. But, I've made my own a time or 3 w/ some traditional Yuengling lager. And once w/ Black & Tan. Yum! Yuengling bruhaha
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @ACN, I wonder if they've modded the recipe. The last bottle of Pork Barrel I had was really bitter. Maybe a bad batch?
  • Acn
    @eggcelsior - I haven't noticed any bitterness issues, might have just been a bad batch. I'd give it another shot.

I picked these up last week, have you tried them? I haven't had a chance to open them, need to clean out a touch of sauce room in the fridge.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I thought it was just okay. I'm not a sauce fanatic, but it's a little sugary, and a bit thick.

Not a fan of Yuengling anyways, but there's literally nothing to it that would make you think beer when you taste it.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @ACN, nope. Where did you find it?
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    nope, but I've had their wing sauce and it was fantastic.
    Aurora,OH
  • Acn
    @eggceelsior - I got it at a store called Gourmet Again in Pikesville. It is. My source for Zeke's without having to go all the way over to Zeke's, and for midweek meat. They also can, for whatever reason sell wine on Sunday in BaltimoreCounty, which nobody else is able to do, except between thanksgiving and New Years.

I'll let you know how it is when I get into them.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    I love the Jack Daniel's BBQ sauces. Not as sweet as Sweet Baby Ray's, but really good and not overly thick.
    Judy in San Diego
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Never tried the yuengling BBQ sauce but their beer sure is good.
  • Bone Sucking Sauce is my go to.  In addition to the standard, which is pretty thin and vinegary, they have a thick version that works pretty good for finishing ribs for those who like them that way (not me, but there are heathens at my table periodically . . . )
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • had my draft party this past saturday. I smoked 4 slabs of rib with bone suckin sauce. Everybody loved it and also made the pig shot (they were no leftovers!). Thanks for the advice and help!
  • SmokeyPitt
    The ribs look awesome!  Glad to hear it worked out. 

• I highly recommend Blue Front BBQ Sauce....I find it down here in South Florida in Publix.

http://www.mybluefront.com/home.html

Gordon
    South Florida