Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First post...Two butts

Options
Been lurking for a while since I generally believe novices should be quiet and learn from the masters. I've certainly learned a lot. Am sure I've seen this question before so sorry for the repeat, but I am planning to cook two butts between 8 and 10 lbs each. How can I expect that to affect cooking time? Needs to be ready to eat by 11:30 am Friday for company picnic. I have a LBGE. Thanks much.

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    2 butts will cook in the same time as one since they cook independently. If you cook at 250 dome it will take roughly 2 hours per pound to get to 195-200 internal temp.  

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    You should probably out them on during your lunch break on Thursday so you can take them off Friday morning.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome! If they finish early, wrap in foil, then towels and put them in a cooler. They will stay hot and pullable for 4-5 hours.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    TURBO BUTTS. · Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil. Also good with the coffee rub. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    First up, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. And check each butt as you get close to the finish-they will likely finish a couple hours apart and the smaller could take longer. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Yup, put them on the day before and take the morning off of work!
    When they're done, FoilTowelCooler and take to the picnic.  
    They'll stay hot and you can start pulling them around 11:00 so you have time to get everything set up for the 11:30AM start time!

Here's my first two on the egg if it is any help; 1 and 2

...and WELCOME!  :-bd
    LBGE/Maryland
  • wepinsf
    wepinsf Posts: 49
    Options
    The results. 16 lbs, finished at 203 in about 18 hours. Temp stayed at 275 for 12 hours then dropped so bumped up to 325 dome. Finished quicker than I expected but realize this is an art and not a science. Fewer wake ups than previous all nighters but will try turbo next time if I am serving later in the day. Thanks for all the assistance.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks good. What rub did you go with?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • wepinsf
    wepinsf Posts: 49
    Options
    Red Hawaiian sea salt and black pepper on one, Rub Me Some Butt on the other.