Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fun With General Tso Leftovers

It's one thing to bring home some lunch leftovers that can be re-heated later, but where's the fun in that?

Why not go all out and make even leftovers a culinary adventure. After all, that's what everything cooked on the Egg is about.

We had some General Tso, fried rice, broccoli, snow peos, and hot peppers left from lunch.

So Judy added some Won Ton soup and a can of Chinese Vegetables to make it go further.

I took it to the Coop, fired up the Mini, got out the Mini Wok and within just a few minutes we were enjoying a delightful General Tso & Miscellaneous Stuff dinner.

Here's some pictures:

Yes, it turned out well, better than I would have thought, and worth the effort.

Thanks for sharing the moment with us.

Spring "The General's Driver" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I'm going to sound like an idiot, but I've never cooked with a wok on the egg. Do you keep the lid open or closed when you cook. I would assume open based on your pics.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255

Yes, open.  But there may be occasions where closing the lid temporarily is needed, if not to control the heat but also to control the flames.  But even that is rare because you want the wok very hot all the time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in wok cooking, you constantly stir the food.  Plus, most foods take less than a minute to cook in a wok.  You simply don't have time to close it while cooking.

The Egg is capable of cooking a lot of different ways.  Wok cooking is just one of them.  But it's one of our favorite ways to cook.

Spring "Wok A Bye Babe" Chicken

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Thanks for the info man. I'm looking at some Woks online now. It's probably one of the few toys I don't have for my egg. The Mrs is going to be thrilled when it shows up.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    I'm a wok newbie too, but it's been a blast. I use a 16 inch carbon steel for my LBGE, supporting it on a spider either upside down or right side up. Gotta be organized, gotta keep the food moving. You need a way to get the wok off the grill in case the cook gets ahead of you (I use nomex gloves, but I've noticed that the grill gripper will work too). The carbon steel wok cools off more rapidly, which I gather is a good thing for when you mind the food to the sides. And you need a wok chuan. I found a nice stainless steel one on Amazon.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Love the creativity. I enjoy challenging myself to create a meal out of odds and ends. Nicely done
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Dumb question:  

When frying rice do you have to use the quick rice?  I tried to fry up the boil in a bag brown rice and it was black before it was even soft.  I was turning the rice constantly.  I'm not having good luck with my wok.
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.