Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Medium Well pulled pork?!? SV

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
So, I wanted to try something just to see. I took a MONSTER bone in chop and dropped in my Sous Vide Supreme at 140 for 45 hours. Pulled like a butt at 200! Pretty darn good if I do say so. Not something I see me doing all the time, but it was fun just to experiment with the Sous Vide times. Typically I would only leave a chop in for 5 hours MAX. Next time I'll try tp close it up with some bbq sauce already in it.  

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. If it's anywhere near as good as your tri tip and chicken out of the SV save me some!!! Looks excellent brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Any risks since the "safe zone" is 40 to 140 hovering right at it that long. Just curious
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Any risks since the "safe zone" is 40 to 140 hovering right at it that long. Just curious
    No, you can actually safely pasturize at like 130 in a sous vide.  I don't know enough about the science except to say that the "danger zone" is overly generalized. Look at this chart and you will get a better idea. (couldn't find one for pork, but it's similar)

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    No, you can actually safely pasturize at like 130 in a sous vide.  I don't know enough about the science except to say that the "danger zone" is overly generalized. Look at this chart and you will get a better idea. (couldn't find one for pork, but it's similar)

Thank You
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    that looks really good, but isn't this just more expensive than a butt?  what's the benefit, or was this just noodling to see if you could?
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Legume said:
    that looks really good, but isn't this just more expensive than a butt?  what's the benefit, or was this just noodling to see if you could?

Just to see if I could. The concept of medium cooked pulled pork appealed to me and I was curious of the effects of time on meat in the SV. I had a chop that needed to get cooked anyhow.  I really doubt there is a true benefit outside the lower fat in a chop vs a butt.