Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your best, simple methods and recipies

Hi all, 

I'm a big fan of simplicity - especially when it produces great results. I'm also a firm believer that most of the best things to eat in life were discovered long before anything complex was conceived. 

I love the simplicity of the principle of the egg.

I love that a little rub and 18 hours smoking can produce mind-blowing pulled pork. 

And I love that fresh ingredients and five minutes at high temp produces the best pizza I've ever tasted. 

I imagine that there is lot more out there for me to discover and love. 

So I kindly ask you, please share your favourite, deceptively simple recipes that you've used again and again to produce brilliant results every time. 

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Spatchcock chicken, raised grill, 350 degrees for 55-60 min an a large.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Jucy Lucy. Two patties of 80/20 with a thumb depression in the middle, assembled with a thick 50-cent -piece sized slice of American/cheddar/gruyere/jarlsberg, or sharp gouda, and maybe some grilled onions just short of caramelization. Grilled with meticulous attention to internal temp (Thermapen) and pulling the burger off for some rest at about  150 degrees. Served with a little lettuce and some roasted garlic aioli. Maybe an avocado/roasted garlic aioli with some chipotle ketchup. Toasted onion bun. Hassleback potatoes with a little garlic, onion and bacon salt.

I confess, if I'm going for looks, I like to use a burger press. I have tried many, but keep coming back to the Cuisinart 3-in-1 Stuffed Burger Press

I love pizza on the BGE, but I don't find it to be simple. Roll out the dough (I buy the dough aged and risen from the local pizza place), preheat the stone, heat soak the dome....
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    edited August 2014
    How's this for stupid easy and simple? Put some tsunami spin on a pork tenderloin and cook direct at 450 until temp is reached. Super juicy and great flavor. Sometimes I glaze it with a little soy and sesame. Quick easy and everyone is always impressed. Btw pecan or cherry wood makes a great smoking wood.

Another tried and true favorite is moink balls. Can't get any eAsier than this, take frozen meatballs and wrap them in bacon. Put your favorite bbq run on them and coon indirect at 275 for 45 minutes. Next add your favorite bbq sauce and cook another 45. Always a great tailgate app.

1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    How's this for stupid easy and sim
    That does sound easy! :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grillin_beers
    Here are some moink balls cooking around a meatloaf image

• Grillin_beers
    @smokeypitt Lol. Hit the post button on my phone a little early. I edited it . Once again lol.

• grin_phi
    grin_phi Posts: 53
    Looking good people - keep em coming. 

Morro: Read two posts about spatchcock chicken tonight - gonna have to try that soon. 

Macool: Been working on perfecting my burger method - so going to take some tips from that.

Grillin': VERY interested in these moink balls!
  • SmokeyPitt
    @smokeypitt Lol. Hit the post button on my phone a little early. I edited it . Once again lol.
    It happens to the best of us ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    One thing I really like is a simple homemade BBQ sauce.   

I start with this recipe as a guide, but to keep things really simple I don't measure anything and I just adjust the ingredients to taste.  

• Grillin_beers

I start with this recipe as a guide, but to keep things really simple I don't measure anything and I just adjust the ingredients to taste.  

I do love making BBQ sauce. I keep succumbing to the ease of store bought. I'll have to give your recipe a go.

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Easy heaven; take a dozen or more jumbo peeled shrimp, coat them with equal mixture of good honey mustard and creamed horseradish . Wrap with good bacon such as Benton's , toothpick em. Grill over a very hot fire until bacon gets brownish. Enjoy! This is a crowd pleaser extrodinair.
  • Pork tenderloin, 1/2c of bourbon (something cheap), 1/4c brown sugar, 1/4c Soy sauce. Marinate for 4-6 hours and grill direct, high until 145 degrees internal. The sugars from the marinade give the tenderloin a beautiful color. Never any leftovers.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Oh, an another app. Rumaki. Take whole water chestnuts, marinate in Soy Sauce for 1hr. Toss in sugar and wrap in bacon. Secure with a toothpick. Indirect 375 deg for about 30 min or until the bacon is crispy. Between these and ABTs, I will literally have my dinner guests swarming the Egg - no need to even plate anything. They just start grabbing right off the grill.
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    My simplest, never fail cook is babyback ribs.  Pull the membrane, rub, put on Egg at 250.  Start checking at 4 hour mark until they pass the bend test.

No wrapping, no spritzing, no nothing.  Never fails.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Probably my simplest and also one of the family's favorite - boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Rub of choice and raised direct at 375 with some peach wood until done. Last few minutes glaze with a little sauce.
    XL BGE
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Boneless skinless chicken thighs with your favorite rub raised direct at 350 - 400F dome to 160F - 180F IT.
  • Simple : rack of lamb (4-6 Chops) + EVOO + Crushed Garlic + S&P; Raised direct at 450 to Medium Rare (130ish).  Let them rest for 5 minutes and cut into lollipops. 

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Grillin_beers
    My recipe is for a beverage I enjoy. First you get yourself a beer. Can or bottle makes no difference here, but it must be cold. Now open your beer. Next, drink it! Enjoy! It can't be simpler than that!

Agreed. What was I thinking? I think I'll be drinking all my suppers from now on. Lol

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Oh, an another app. Rumaki. Take whole water chestnuts, marinate in Soy Sauce for 1hr. Toss in sugar and wrap in bacon. Secure with a toothpick. Indirect 375 deg for about 30 min or until the bacon is crispy. Between these and ABTs, I will literally have my dinner guests swarming the Egg - no need to even plate anything. They just start grabbing right off the grill.
    @Cymbaline65 thick or thin bacon?

Sounds amazing! and new to me!
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Spiral cut hot dogs
    Easy heaven; take a dozen or more jumbo peeled shrimp, coat them with equal mixture of good honey mustard and creamed horseradish . Wrap with good bacon such as Benton's , toothpick em. Grill over a very hot fire until bacon gets brownish. Enjoy! This is a crowd pleaser extrodinair.
    what temp would you use for this?  roughly how long until the bacon turns brown?
  • @AllSid - I go for thin cut bacon as it wraps easier than thin. Also, try playing with dark brown sugar or Turbinado sugar. I like Turbinado best for this dish. MAKE SURE YOU USE A DRIP PAN or bad things will happen otherwise.

Oh, an another app. Rumaki. Take whole water chestnuts, marinate in Soy Sauce for 1hr. Toss in sugar and wrap in bacon. Secure with a toothpick. Indirect 375 deg for about 30 min or until the bacon is crispy. Between these and ABTs, I will literally have my dinner guests swarming the Egg - no need to even plate anything. They just start grabbing right off the grill.
    @Cymbaline65 thick or thin bacon?

Sounds amazing! and new to me!

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    4 to 500 deg, raised direct on a very hot grill. Shouldn't take anymore than 2 or 3 mins per side. Just watch bacon and when it's browning get them off. Don't overcook shrimp. This is a great quick easy dish. Also mix the home mustard and creamed horseradish together and then mix in and coat shrimp or you can go on and wrap shrimp and them coat with mixture. Y'all will love them, a true different treat.
  • I'm with @YEMTrey.  ST Louis ribs, peel membrane, rub liberally with Memphis Dust, egg @ 250 with plenty of applewood for 7 hours (takes longer to cook up here in Colorado altitude).  Enjoy.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

500 degree farenheit with cast iron grid.  New York or Ribeyes, rub with salt and pepper after they sat out for 30 mins.  put on grill, rotate after 3 mins, rotate again after 2 more, flip once, wait 2 mins then rotate, then 2 more mins

take off and have the best steak you've ever had no need for sauce or salt.  steaks must be at least 1" thick

• apfroggy0408
    apfroggy0408 Posts: 99
    edited August 2014
    Medium egg going at 350 deg_F 

~7 lb whole pork loin with only Dizzy Pig Fajita-ish rub cut in half. 

Throw on egg direct normal height, pull at 140 deg_F about 40 mins, let sit and slice.

OR

Medium egg going at 350 deg_F 

Boneless skinless chicken breast with some EVOO and Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust.

Throw on egg direct normal height, 10 minutes each side pull, let sit and slice.

Stupid easy and tasty is my speciality, I eat that 7lb pork loin myself in 3 days and currently cook two of 'em a week. Or if I'm eating chicken that's about 12 lbs of chicken I eat alone a week.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Tjcoley said:

Spiral cut hot dogs

We call them "slinky dogs".

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Captain and coke. Forget the coke. Lime is a must. Repeat
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos