Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Temp question after the initial low and slow

I had serious issues with my egg getting it to hold 250 this weekend. Im wondering if it could have been the charcoal I used or if there is a way to tell if the gasket is bad?

What happened is I lit the egg and let it burn. Placed the plate setter, foil balls, drip pan, and grate. In the next 45 minutes the temp rose from the 105 it showed when i closed the lid to 145. Is this normal?

The next issue was I could play with the vents and get them set, the temp would be good at 255 and hold briefly, then it would fall and hold at 200-210.

Im looking forward to my next low and slow, as the butt was delicious, but I would like to address these issues first and any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
1 Medium BGE(for now)
1 Charcoal Weber
1 Wood burner
Plans for much more......

Jackson - TN

Comments

• Grillin_beersGrillin_beers Posts: 1,248
    Hey man, It sounds to me like you didn't get enough coals lit to support all of the added ceramic and pans. I normally get my egg stabilized at 250 then add the plate setter ect and let it stabilize at the desired temp. Sorry for any spelling/grammatical mistakes as I am on my phone.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • GaryLangeGaryLange Posts: 376
    You don't want to make to large of an adjustment to the vents. I have found that when it gets close to where I want it to be that I star shutting done the bottom vent until it is at the temp I want. I then make any find adjustments wit the daisy wheel after I put to meat on I will make adjustments again after it stablizes again. The tmep will most cases go ddown because the meat is cool so you need to open the daisy wheel some to get it back to where you want it to be for the cook. Then it will stay there for te most part until you're done. It may go up or own 5 or so degrees wile cook is in progress but don't worry about this as it won't effect your cook. Always use a thermometer in you meat so you have an idea of it's internal temp and when it reaches about 5-20 degrees from the point where you want it wrap it and put it in a cooler with the thermometer and it will rise to te temp you want is.