Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Shears for Spatchcocking?

Options

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    I've got plenty of knives, but I like the leverage I get when using shears. (Admittedly, I've never stood Mr. Chicky up to do so...will have to try.) I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of Cutcos...they let me order them over the phone rather than having to go to a fair or have someone come to my home. Sheesh - those are expensive! I hope they are worth it, lol. They should be here in less than two weeks...until then, I guess my next spatch will be done with the birdie standing up. :) Thanks all your suggestions!

Do you mind my being nosey? What did you pay? I just checked Amazon and without special treatment Joe Consumer would have to pay $105 plus $5 S&H. When I told my wife how much they are selling for now she reminded me we got them "free" years ago when we bought a $300+ set of knives from a young neighbor boy in his first year of college. We essentially wrote off the inflated price as helping him pay tuition for his next year, but were dumbfounded and pleasantly surprised with the quality of the knife set we received. Even here so many years later those Cutcos are razor sharp and look great!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    I've got plenty of knives, but I like the leverage I get when using shears. (Admittedly, I've never stood Mr. Chicky up to do so...will have to try.) I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of Cutcos...they let me order them over the phone rather than having to go to a fair or have someone come to my home. Sheesh - those are expensive! I hope they are worth it, lol. They should be here in less than two weeks...until then, I guess my next spatch will be done with the birdie standing up. :) Thanks all your suggestions!
    You will love them! And they will last a lifetime
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Purchased mine at Sams. They came as a set of 2 (one black handle and the other redish pink). Provide a clean cut with good leverage. They come apart really easy for cleaning purposes.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    I have the same 2 pack that brother husker spoke of above. They have served me very well thus far.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• prodraft1954
    Options
    Love my Cutco knives, had 'em for years
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    Cutco Super Shears here.  Never need to sharpen!
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I picked these up from amazon

They seem very sturdy 

I cant wait to use them
    imageimage
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I've got the Cutco ones..l Quite honestly, not really impressed. I'm looking for a pair that will give me leverage against a 4lb + bird.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SGH
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌- Sister they are pricey, but top tier. image

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌- The above is 10" shears.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @SGH here's my cheaper version of your Swiss Army!  also 10" and quite heavy, I like the non-intrusive lock button in yours.  My spring is built into the screw, the lock mechanism is kind of clunky   :\">

canuckland
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @SGH and @Cannughead ... where did you get your shears from?  A quick internet search keeps taking me overseas ... nothing stateside.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    anyone ever use Wiss tin snips? Would definitely work, but a bear to clean.

Just saw an article on SE that made some suggestions. One commenter accused them of running a paid ad in the guise of objective recommendations. Dunno. I ALWAYS read the comments though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @SGH and @Cannughead ... where did you get your shears from?  A quick internet search keeps taking me overseas ... nothing stateside.
    Right here my friend.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/victorinox-45903-10-heavy-duty-stainless-steel-poultry-shears/35345903.html

Status- Standing by.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @SGH ... Thanks for the link, but that's not the same as you showed above.  I like the "plastic" handles ... easier to hold.  Might have to go with stainless steel, but was hoping you had a link to the 76343 shears.

I see a screw head showing ... do the 76343 shears come apart like the cheaper ones?

• SGH
    Options
    @SGH ... Thanks for the link, but that's not the same as you showed above.  I like the "plastic" handles ... easier to hold.  Might have to go with stainless steel, but was hoping you had a link to the 76343 shears.

I see a screw head showing ... do the 76343 shears come apart like the cheaper ones?
    The link is to website. They have both kinds on there my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @SGH ... I must be blind ... can't find the 76343 shears on that website.  Hold my hand please.

Do your shears come apart for cleaning?

• SGH
    Options
    @SGH ... I must be blind ... can't find the 76343 shears on that website.  Hold my hand please.

Do your shears come apart for cleaning?
    Stand by my friend. Let me have a look. Give me a few minutes, busy at the moment. But I will find them for you.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Jeepster47‌- Brother I just found out that the black handled ones are no longer made in 10". They are made in 3" & 4" only now. If you want the large heavy duty 10" version, this is now the only Victorinox new option: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/victorinox-45903-10-heavy-duty-stainless-steel-poultry-shears/35345903.html

Status- Standing by.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @SGH ... Okay, so I'm not crazy.  For some reason they're still sold overseas ... go figure.  Thanks for the help.

• SGH
    Options
    @SGH ... Okay, so I'm not crazy.  For some reason they're still sold overseas ... go figure.  Thanks for the help.

I don't understand that either. You can buy the 10" shears here, just not the vinly handled ones. I have had my pair for over a decade. It never crossed my mind that they quit selling them domestically. However, the pair in the link I posted is just as good if not better. They are just missing the vinly grips.

Status- Standing by.

• Canugghead
    Options
    sorry @jeepster47 I didn't get the alert because you typed @cannughead instead of @canugghead ;)
    got mine in GWN at HomeSense, kind of like Marshalls.

did a search and can only find this:
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This thread is way to geeky for me. 
    Options
    @jeepster47 I found this for you.  It's same brand as mine, KOCHSYSTEME made in Germany, 10", nice plastic handle with lock?  Great price $13.49 and shipping to 61571 is only $4.99
    canuckland
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Geeky? No it's not ... it's cutting edge.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Geeky? No it's not ... it's cutting edge.
    Oh SNAP!  Love a good pun!
    Options
    I use shears from Home Depot. Miluakee cuts like butter. Also used on TDay turkey. Ezimage
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jeepster47
    Options
    sorry @jeepster47 I didn't get the alert because you typed @cannughead instead of @canugghead ;) ...
    @Canugghead ... My apologies sir for mangling your name. 

At one time Illinois had the most personalized license plates in the states ... they were free if they contained a number.  It was a neat game to see who could figure out what the license plate said first. Once you deciphered the plate, it was easy to remember it.  I figured out a few days ago that @nolaegghead is his address.  Explain yours please.

Thanks for the link to the shears.  I really should leave it alone.  Just checked and I have four sets similar to those in your link ... pair of Chicago Cutlery seconds, a pair of Chicago Cutlery that have been relegated to the garage, a new pair of Chicago Cutlery and a Wusthof 5558 pair.  Got to stop looking for the perfect pair ... but, tools are so neat.

• Canugghead
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Jeepster47
    it's kind of convoluted, my address too!
    Canuck Egghead 
    canuckland
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Not any more ... thanks.