Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

End of season sales have started

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
I see by the flyers in today's paper that the merchants are already reminding us consumers that the end of the grilling season is rapidly approaching! Yup...Labor Day is the last time for the year...better pack everything away until next July 4th when the next season starts again! What a joke! Seriously though many merchants do follow this pattern and they start their sales and often they put their lump on sale and won't restock until next year! So newbies, don't be surprised when you can't find lump in local stores even a month from now! Stock up and don't get caught short!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Thanks for that heads up on the lump Ron..I will be trolling for bargains.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    You can also find some good deals on rubs and sauces too! The local Depot and Lowes stores now sell all kinds of sauce and rubs!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I get my Rockwood from my Egg dealer so I should be good. I also have an extra bag sitting in the garage. I'm not cooking right now because of medical reasons right now. I too can't believe they put a season on it. I look forward to being able to grill this winter with a better grill then I have ever had. My move it closer to the back door though.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Great tip...have an extra bag just in case.  I used to do the same thing with my gasser.  Always had an extra tank on had just in case I ran out.  Replaced the old one just after the one ran out.  I need to find some Rockwood somewhere.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Living in sunny California, where often the temps on a Christmas Day are in the 80's ... it's grilling season year round.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • cajuncook
    Options
    I was in New Hampshire in October one year and ordered iced tea. She said it was out of season. What? Damn Yankees.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    cajuncook said:
    I was in New Hampshire in October one year and ordered iced tea. She said it was out of season. What? Damn Yankees.

LOL, ain't that the truth?! I moved to CT (from NC) in the 70s and found that iced tea was a summer drink only. Still is. Who knew?

As for lump, I'm down to one bag. But I still have my oven. =))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I stocked up when Tractor Supply clearanced their RO. I think I have about 200# hoarded. A good start.
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I stocked up when Tractor Supply clearanced their RO. I think I have about 200# hoarded. A good start.
    200# huh? Good start! I panic like a druggie needing a fix when I get below 500#s. LOL - yes I know I'll get flamed by CarolinaQ...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yes. Yes you will.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Luckily Firecraft is right up the road and or free shipping
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Yup last year I ran out and had to resort to BGE brand. Ouch
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    What, people on a grilling forum are more serious about grilling than the rest of the public? I am positively shocked to learn that!

Sarcasm aside, that is a good reminder that in some areas you may be left with your dealer's markup on BGE brand. If you're getting from another source, you may want to ask them their plans for stocking lump.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I want to live by you Hap. Firecraft nearby and Fred's not too far away. Nice!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    The temp today topped ninety. Grilling season is about to begin.
    Fred I bought all Tractor Supply had left in Murphy-four bags-so didn't do as well as you did.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm well-stocked on lump but could use a couple accessories.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    I already felt that pain.  Went to Lowe's and they were out.  Found some Royal Oak at Home Depot - they had 3 bags left.  I bought 2 of them and left one for someone else.