Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Packer

AcnAcn Posts: 2,020
So, I was pretty happy with tonight's cook, including brisket.  So, I figured I could open some more wine, call up Ghostbusters on Netflix, and start my first packer tonight, planning on having it for dinner early tomorrow evening.  I got a 10+ pound packer today at a nice little butcher shop @eggcelsior recommends.  The egg is coming up to temperature, with the relatively new PitmasterIQ 110 set for 250.

Pictures will be forthcoming, expect to get the brisket on around 12-12:15 EST.  It is a bit of a trial run, SWMBO may be holding a family get together at our house over labor day weekend, may want to run another one of these at that point, assuming tonight goes well.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• AcnAcn Posts: 2,020
    The packer is on. USDA choice, relatively floppy. Trimmed, liberally coated with DP Red Eye (yes Texans, I know not traditional. I am using Acadian Oak though. So I got that going for me, which is nice).

imageimage

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,348
    Looking forward to the cut shot later today.
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,431
    Me too... Sexy as hell right now.
    Morning check in:

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• stemc33stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Nice.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 4,485
    That does look good..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
    Thanks guys, here it is after 15 hours, probe sliding like butter. It'll be FTC'd for about 2 hours, I'll eat around 5.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Gratuitous beverage pic:

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Awesome..Looking forward to the money shot..
    Also, I had filled up to the top of the fire ring with Rockwood; after I stirred it (blue cornbread and veggies are going to cooked on the egg to finish dinner) to get things evened out and to burn off any leftover bits of oak still in there, here is what is left, after 16 or so hours of coming to 250 and staying there:

That Rockwood is some pretty good stuff!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

So this turned out to be my best brisket ever, the first time I did one that makes you stop and say, "So this is what all the fuss is about."
    After FTC:
    A few sliced shots:
    imageimage
    The veggies and the cornbread wouldn't both work, so I did the cornbread in the oven (the recipe calls for dropping the temp anyway, so I could follow it fully).
    Finally a plated shot, with some okra pickles on the side too.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Awesome..Congrats on a great Brisky..All looks fantastic..Enjoy.
  • frankc623frankc623 Posts: 163
    Brisket looks great! What butcher shop did you go to?
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
    frankc623 said:
    Brisket looks great! What butcher shop did you go to?
    JW Treuth in Catonsville. They don't have them in the case, but ask and they'll go out back and pick one up.   

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• frankc623frankc623 Posts: 163
    I'll have to check them out. thanks
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,991
    My goodness, sir!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,889
    Home freaking run!!! Best 1st attempt I've seen!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,666
    Terrific.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    Thank you gentlemen. High praise indeed from notable brisket experts...

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,889
    Acn said:

No kidding!! I eagerly await the day that Mr. Brisket makes an appearance in one of my measly brisket threads. Have you seen how many views this guy's thread has??

If you havent...don't worry, I'm about to bump it!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    cazzy said:
    No kidding!! I eagerly await the day that Mr. Brisket makes an appearance in one of my measly brisket threads. Have you seen how many views this guy's thread has?? If you havent...don't worry, I'm about to bump it!!

I do a mean braised brisket myself, although I use the slow cooker not the egg (and the one I cooked last night into today wouldn't fit). I must remember to take photos next time I do it.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Great looking brisket!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 7,078
    Mighty fine job on the brisky!! Tell me about the cornbread please.

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMWDMW Posts: 10,208
    Nice job there. Hard to believe this was your first. Do this exactly the same next time, don't change a thing.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Was this your first ever or first one posted on the forum ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
  • Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 4,199
    Nicely done. The bark looks great. It looks very juicy.
    XL, WSM, Little Kahuna, Coleman RoadTrip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
    Thanks all!  This was my first full packer - I have done a few flats before, both on an old brinkman vertical smoker and on the egg.  Those results were OK (except for the last flat I did on the egg - didn't have a controller or maverick, woke up and it was cruising along at 425, there was a sliver inside that was OK for the dog, and at least there was plenty of time to defrost something else for dinner) but really never was at a point that made me understand the fuss about brisket.  I'll be honest - I was at a point where I was done with smoking the brisket, and was going to stick with either thin-sliced and direct grilled (like from my Saturday cook, linked in the first post here), braised, or as ground beef.  Now that I have a source for quality packers, I'll keep them in my repetoire.   :D

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

@Mattman3969

I have the blue cornmeal from here:  http://www.mcewenandsons.com/

I can't recommend McEwen & Sons highly enough.  Their grits, cornmeal, and popcorn are all fantastic - the best my wife and I have ever had, and their hush puppy mix is outstanding as well.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Yep, you did it right - nice work!
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT