Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Table Question

Options
I'm almost ready to build a table for my grill. Mine will be built like many with wood and cabinet style with drawers. How do users deal with the rain water that can find it's way between the air gap between the grill and table top? This water will leak onto the grill shelf and then is there something in the design to shed this water? Thanks, Mike

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Mine is SS but, I would ASS-u-me that the finish acts like a duck to repel rain etc on a wooden table.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Cover it up when not in use...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• mebanite60
    Options
    UV rays and water can be rough on outdoor wood products. Even with a couple of good coats of poly or wood preservative of your choice I would cover when not in use. You can get large covers for gassers on Amazon that will probably fit depending on your finished dimensions.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    My table is made from cedar, so generally weatherproof but cedar does need a good stain every 4-5 years. The table top/work surface is stainless steel, so no weathering issues there. If I was doing it again, I'd spring for a set of stainless steel drawer inserts for the bottom shelf.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Mine is wood, (no cabinets though),  I made it to fit a BGE long table cover and I keep it covered. I expect it to hold up for years.  BTW, if you go with a BGE cover, plan to seal the seams with something.  I sued silicone caulk, but there are other options.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • mbg
    mbg Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for all the hints. I will buy a cover and seal the wood properly. That stainless caught my eye too.

Mike 
  • Smokeysmokerson
    Options
    Put slits in the shelf supporting the egg to ensure water drains
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    mbg said:
     That stainless caught my eye too.

Mike 
    My cedar table is 8 years old and has held up great! I finally got around to pressure washing and staining it while I had the Egg out. The stainless steel top cost me $225 to have fabricated...what a great addition. I should have done that years ago.

I mentioned stainless drawers...this is what I'd consider. Pretty spendy, though....